Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Article about: Moving on, I'd like to talk about the fabric of the cap cover. I have no doubt about it's authenticity, it's the really horrible quality wool made with wood pulp and god knows what else in t

?

Default Re: Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)

Spotted this rayon piped example in the archives today. A most interesting example with very solid provenance. Would take a brave collector to invest in though.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)   Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)
    P
    Many

?

Just has a cheese cloth lining much like this feldmutze I picked up years ago.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

?

To continue the theme of odd variations, here's one on Martin Stiles ( Hanners Reich ) update today.
    I spoke with Martin on the phone about it and it was interesting to hear his honest thoughts regarding the difference between firstly seeing digital images of the cap (he was doubtful as anyone would be) and then no longer having doubts once the cap was in his hands.
    In this digital age, this hobby can get very confusing. I myself have only ever conducted a purchase face to face on maybe 2 occasions. The rest have all been done via email and digital images.
    Most collectors would automatically shy away from most of the examples posted here on this thread and with probably good reason.
    The more years I collect however, the more I am drawn to the unusal, the non "textbook" (how I hate that word) and all the unique variations that I have seen plenty of times in period photos, yet hardly ever appear on forums like this. I have no doubt that the biggest reason for that is the stifling attitude of some who cannot and will not ever embrace the fact that not everything produced for the Third Reich conforms to their rigid and strict guidlines. As a result, I'm sure a lot of the most interesting items are hiden away never to be seen.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)   Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)   Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)  

?

Worthy of note is the build up of crud on the bottom piping. Martin refers to the piping "has gone brittle". That's exactly how the lower piping is on my cap.
    Last edited by BenVK; 08-11-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    To continue the theme of odd variations, here's one on Martin Stiles ( Hanners Reich ) update today.
    I spoke with Martin on the phone about it and it was interesting to hear his honest thoughts regarding the difference between firstly seeing digital images of the cap (he was doubtful as anyone would be) and then no longer having doubts once the cap was in his hands.
    In this digital age, this hobby can get very confusing. I myself have only ever conducted a purchase face to face on maybe 2 occasions. The rest have all been done via email and digital images.
    Most collectors would automatically shy away from most of the examples posted here on this thread and with probably good reason.
    The more years I collect however, the more I am drawn to the unusal, the non "textbook" (how I hate that word) and all the unique variations that I have seen plenty of times in period photos, yet hardly ever appear on forums like this. I have no doubt that the biggest reason for that is the stifling attitude of some who cannot and will not ever embrace the fact that not everything produced for the Third Reich conforms to their rigid and strict guidlines. As a result, I'm sure a lot of the most interesting items are hiden away never to be seen.

Well said. I think the cap of Stiles came from a reputable dealer before and was part of a leading collection.
    The phrase "textbook" is very irritating.
    Those who take refuge in it as a crutch for their average choices in collecting do themselves and the rest of us a disservice, especially when the state of knowledge is ever expanding.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The phrase "textbook" is very irritating.
    Those who take refuge in it as a crutch for their average choices in collecting do themselves and the rest of us a disservice, especially when the state of knowledge is ever expanding.
    So what is your verdict on the cap in question, FB?

After all the discussion, do you still feel Ben should "Sell for a modest to fair price as a Museums- or Sammeranfertigung of high quality" . . ? Being that the cap may not [absolutely] fit into the irritating limits of "textbook" status, would you feel comfortable enough to tell Ben it is meritous enough, that he should keep it in his collection? Do you feel it's origin is of genuine Third Reich manufacture?

I'd be happy to examine the cap and give an opinion based on a conventional examination.

?

A decision was made yesterday and my cap is off to pastures new. The sum was a fraction of what it would be worth if judged to be totaly authentic but I couldn't in good consciousness sell it as such. The new owner is happy with that.

?

137 people have read this thread.
    8 people have posted, including myself.
    The subject of SS caps including a mega rare white top example must be very boring!

Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)Help me decide about this Feldmuetze Alter Art (crusher)I posted a very rare black uniform with a more rare cuff title, elicited essentially no response at all.
    The nut house forum with the sophomoric rants and raves always gets more traffic.
    Taking the high road around here and trying to set a higher standard is a lonely undertaking, and more so....

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast