Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Help needed

Article about: Moreover, since young people are as obsessed with Totenkoepfe as were older generations, the symbols of the cult of death in central European society and art have a place here, too. The pres

Default Re: Help needed

Dear colleague F-B,

Your excellent work in supplying our Icelandic friend such a diverse amount of material to work from is outstanding, if I were one to wear hats, I would doff it to you!

A gentleman I am sure.

Yours,

Spence

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed
    P
    Many

Quote by SpenceMortlock View Post
    Dear colleague F-B,

Your excellent work in supplying our Icelandic friend such a diverse amount of material to work from is outstanding, if I were one to wear hats, I would doff it to you!

A gentleman I am sure.

Yours,

Spence
    Thank you, but I am surely no gentleman. Just ask the people I work with. Of course, young Erla wants to write about something to which I have devoted a lot of thought, and been aided here by my colleagues, who, also know a very great deal. Why should she not profit from our reflection?

I am a history teacher, in fact, so this sort of thing is all in a day's work.

The only problem is the negative side of the internet as to the chicken and egg of idea and its cause and effect. I would not want someone to use some phrasing here and then be accused of plagiarism, when, in fact, we are helping her write her paper, which I think is an ideal use of this medium....but I hate distance learning and I want actually to see and talk to the people I work with, because that is the key to this.

I am a very low tech person, but my students are able to master the collaboration of distance learning and team project with spectacular ease.

I can recall in the early 1970s the effort necessary to make slide presentations on Nazi aesthetics of weeks and weeks, something that we can now do here in a half an hour and share it with a readership on the continents.

In any case, thanks once more. My point: Erla becomes a very rich fashionista/designer and then she can buy our foetid woolens.

I am now quite behind in the other presentation I have to give at the other end of world, and I wonder if I got upgraded?

Himmler's father was a private tutor to the Wittelsbach family.
    This world, in which his family existed at a remove, was central to certain of his ideas, that is to elite, rank, status, symbols of office, gifts, et cetera.

Of course this elite had failed in the eyes of the Nazis and been unable to surmount the tasks of total war in its extreme form, and should be supplanted by a new elite of "race."

But a lot of formerly estate/royal customs and traditions got recycled all the same, along with many other cultural, political and social forces, i.e. social darwinism in its most extreme form and militarized eugenics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed   Help needed  

The inter war military, the thousand man army also engaged in a cult of tradition, with use of symbols from the 18th and 19th century as a rejection of the Republic.

Much of this was the creation of this man: Hans von Seeckt.

The SA and SS borrowed customs and traditions from the Reichswehr.

At the same time, the party army sought to distinguish itself from the caste system present in the military estate, and appeal to more populist ethos.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help needed 

I meant, of course, the 100,000 man army.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed  

Of course, there is also the issue of things one wore on the head, and why we care about them, I have not figured out.

These are from Colleague Coleman...one I sold to him and it is now in a nice book.

He has a fine collection, indeed.

or these...

or these....I sold the one on the left and now it is very famous.

The red book here came with its original pencil (an NSDAP pencil in fact), but the man who sold the book and the pencil to me was a real creep.

Such things happen. He was in Berlin and had many nice things, but wanted to sell them for one price, and then a few hours later, he announced that they now cost a new, more expensive price...but he had already sold the things to me.

Or, if you came in his shop later, he demanded more money for something he sold a while ago....perhaps several months ago.

I had not seen this sort of thing before, but I guess he was unhinged by advanced book exchange dot com.

I own a lot of books I could not afford to buy today, in fact. This is a generalized feeling, really.

Do you have a real Nazi pencil from 1938?

I cordially suggest to you that such an object is more rare than the Cupal cap badge with the special Munich mark on it, or the laughing five in the "52" or whatever is supposed to be special here.

?

F-B:

My posts on #24-25 were in jest, of course.

Erla -

I could not recomment Robin Lunsden's "Black Order...", as cited previously, more highly for your project.

Even in the madness of all this, life went on:

Thanks for yours. ....and thank God that life went on there and now, perhaps, here.

I hope our Erla can make some sense of what we offer her.

The internet is balkanized (with apologies to my s.e. European friends) in a way that an outsider has a lot of trouble seeing up from down.

It is an interesting pedagogical problem I have frequently in other arenas.

happy foetid woolens.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast