Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to spot fake Skulls and Eagles

Article about: Could someone please give a good guide like Mr. Stevenson on how to spot fake SS metal insignia on hats? The eagles and skulls. I've never dealt with the such but a guide would be very usefu

I just never found it useful for information after someone posts a skull and then someone says "fake" and it's over. Every once in a while I'm lucky enough to see a comment like "look at the jaw, it is too ____" but most of the time people just post a comment:

"bad"

and that's it. How can I learn from that? You are all definitely smart, and beyond me on this. I just wish I could get some pointers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to spot fake Skulls and Eagles
    P
    Many

Quote by Luftwaffe Hauptmann View Post
    I just never found it useful for information after someone posts a skull and then someone says "fake" and it's over. Every once in a while I'm lucky enough to see a comment like "look at the jaw, it is too ____" but most of the time people just post a comment:

"bad"

and that's it. How can I learn from that? You are all definitely smart, and beyond me on this. I just wish I could get some pointers.
    Hello,
    I too, find it difficult to distinguish, but what others are telling you to do is, if you want to learn, study.
    Create files and save images of real ones and fake ones. I have a few files that I use for reference only because this is not my collecting field. Study the real ones, learn what intricacies there are about the jaws, teeth, bones, sutures, pins, eye sockets, markings etc. until you know who made it without even seeing the back. Use the fakes for reference only! I do this for the badges and awards that I collect.
    If you study the fakes, and someone comes up with a new one, you will not know if it is real or fake. If you study the originals, since there will never be any new ones, you will not be fooled by a new one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

"bad"

I fully agree that many posts are useless. However, we do have a lot of sound images, to which you yourself must somehow get to see the actual item in real life.
    That is not a pleasant thing for me to say to you, but nothing is pleasant about these things.

As I say, one of the people I trust did make such a compendium, but it is long, long gone.

One of the criterion is weight, for instance.

The real ones are much lighter than the normal fake, which, is cast or made from too much metal.

But I take your point as to the brevity of many posts and the inside base ball of it all.

We try to explain things.

However, some of things pointed out by others, in my opinion, are not always rules as much as they are flukes.

Thank you very much.

How to spot fake Skulls and EaglesHow to spot fake Skulls and EaglesYou have to look at these things with the naked eye.... these, by the way, are, accidentally, the only "set" of these I own, and they are not a set at all. That is, the are made by two different firms and I found them separately. But they are more or less of the same era and the same Werkstoff....
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-30-2014 at 06:30 AM.

What's wrong with them? Shouldn't the teeth be bigger or is that a real design?

Nothing is wrong with my "set" at all. They are just not what I really collect and they are not on a cap.

See Post #4
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Well since we are here, how can you tell the difference between a General's cap and an officer's if they're both white piped?

Well since we are here, how can you tell the difference between a General's cap and an officer's if they're both white piped?
    The material of the "piping" is different: a generals visor utilizes silver bullion for the piping while a officers visor contains the white thread you speak of.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast