Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Interesting SS photo

Article about: I am not used to see collar tab on the brown shirt. He wears matching collar tabs on his shirt & jacket. Is this more common than I think? He is identified as SS Bauernführer

Quote by Ganer View Post
    I am not used to seeing collar tabs on the brown shirt. ( .. ) Is this more common than I think?
    Attachment 1006799
    Actually not that common at all , IMHO ;
    from the very few pictures I managed to find of these , the following both were shown at the site of Martin Stiles - as part of period albums for sale .
    Attached Images Attached Images Interesting SS photo  Interesting SS photo 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Interesting SS photo
    P
    Many

And of course in this picture posted here before , the Adjutant collar tabs & white piped kepi of Mr. Hess may draw the attention away from surrounding 12. Standarte shirt tabs ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting SS photo  

CBH
    ?

Great shot of an SS Adjutant collar , worn by Hess .

The collar patches were generally not worn on the shirt with the black jacket. But while the black jacket was introduced and the blouse and jacket worn together,
    i.e. the men in the blouse/shirt and the NCO and or leader ranks in the jacket and so forth, it is hard to speak of a real standardized uniform.
    When you read the internal documents, the attempt to get a unit all in uniform etc. was no easy task in the Allgemeine SS of the early period.

The collar patches were worn on the short blouse/shirt from an early date, since the late 1920s.

Wim can surely tell us for sure.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-11-2016 at 03:09 PM.

You notice that the image of the man from Sta. 54 is without a shoulder cord.

- - ------- - -

as is true for the man from the Wiener Standarte.

?

One thing I am interested in is dating photos by looking at the uniform or military equipment used.

It would seem while the SS was part of the SA, and most likely before the Nazi's came to power, they fallowed SA standards (of course). I don't know the date when the black jacket was introduced, but it would seem there was a transition period. The photos Friedrich-Berthold & Winkelman look to be 1933 or before & the one person wearing a black jacket is without any decoration & collar tabs on the shirt.

I find that photo very interesting, not so much for the uniform, but for what they are carrying/doing. A fake MG08? And I thought at first improvised weapons (farm implements), but on second look with the saw I can't see how it would be used in a street fight. So a pioneer unit of some type?

Quote by Ganer View Post
    I find that photo very interesting, not so much for the uniform, but for what they are carrying/doing. A fake MG08? And I thought at first improvised weapons (farm implements), but on second look with the saw I can't see how it would be used in a street fight. So a pioneer unit of some type?
    Well , these SS men are ankle deep in leaves & sawdust -
    maybe they just finished their community service / alternative sentencing for politically incorrect remarks .. ?!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting SS photo  

Interesting SS photoHere are the duties of an Hagen Allgemeine SS Sturm ca. May, 1939.

Interesting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photoInteresting SS photo
    Quote by Ganer View Post
    One thing I am interested in is dating photos by looking at the uniform or military equipment used.

It would seem while the SS was part of the SA, and most likely before the Nazi's came to power, they fallowed SA standards (of course). I don't know the date when the black jacket was introduced, but it would seem there was a transition period. The photos Friedrich-Berthold & Winkelman look to be 1933 or before & the one person wearing a black jacket is without any decoration & collar tabs on the shirt.

The black uniform was introduced in the summer of 1932 at the time when the SA re emerged into legality after Reichswehr Minister Wilhelm Groener's SA Verbot, the event
    which prompted Kurt v. Schleicher to machinate against Groener, to the detriment of democracy and civil peace in Germany.

The rank system in the SS was more or less organized in 1933.

As I wrote, in this epoch 1932-1933, there existed a wide variety of uniforms. But this generalization is no less true of most years thereafter.
    A great effort was invested in getting things to appear uniform at Nuremberg each September, but such images hardly betray reality.
    The SS uniform was in constant flux, and the term "early," itself is misleading as to this process of flux.

Interesting SS photoThe Hein book on the Allgemeine SS is very revealing about many of these issues as to roles and missions and consolidation of the SS from essentially a shadow
    existence on the fringe of the movement to its central and leading role after 1934.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2