Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not

Article about: by klinger by the way dose someone know why skull number 2 is yelloish What Ade said. Jerry

Default Re: Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not

Quote by klinger View Post
    by the way dose someone know why skull number 2 is yelloish
    What Ade said.

Jerry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not
    P
    Many

Default Re: Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not

Quote by vonbond View Post
    What Ade said.

Jerry
    thanks as well

and someone some more oppinions about the skulls

1 and 2 are fake, 3,4,5 and 6 are original.

Bob Hritz

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    1 and 2 are fake, 3,4,5 and 6 are original.

Bob Hritz
    can you please give use some more details why you think so bob

some more oppinions will be nice

Quote by klinger View Post
    some more oppinions will be nice
    Elsewhere the question was posed at to the nature of expertise. Some of the responses to said query had the tendency to belittle such expertise. At the risk of being rude, the electric picture here is insufficient for the purpose of becoming fluent and even "expert" in cloth SS items, or really any SS item.
    Mr. Hritz has collected this material since the beginning of the 1960s, and I since more or less the middle of the 1960s. Without the third dimension, as well as the human senses in their totality, then such knowledge is a dicey or dodgy thing, really. We can share a lot of knowledge, but we cannot transfer and otherwise transform more than a fraction of experience via this medium. In writing this, if I offend someone, then so be it. I have helped to build this website with a lot of work, but the images and other intangibles I might have added surely do not comprise the full range of what one can know. That is, what one should know.

The internet causes a false security that such hard won knowledge can be downloaded or somehow rendered into a pdf of you name, it and such knowledge cannot. Finally, I am surely not withholding the knowledge (the tiny fraction of the whole in its dizzying complexity) for the purpose of vanity or the lord it over the monkeys internet narcissism syndrome.

I wish it were otherwise, but it is not.

You have to examine real pieces as well as items in pictures here. There is no other way.Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or notJust to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or notJust to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or notJust to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 09-13-2010 at 02:56 AM.

How does a piece look in real life versus the electric picture? How does it f e e l when you touch it?; How does it s m e l l when you sniff it (oh my god...); how does it compare to the others on the shelf before me?; how much does it weigh?; and on and on,. This is not to damn and otherwise belittle my British colleague's wish, but since others here have a dismissive opinion of expertise, whatever that might really mean in the 21st century, then I am constrained to write the above. The human senses as well as intuition (that is, the sense of the imponderable) play a role in all of this that I cannot render in prose in the these little essays nor do justice to with photos, since they depict things I cannot see to the naked eye or somehow warp these items into something else, as a photo always does.

I own more "SS cloth" than the average soul, but I am not sure if such property equips me to generalize much. What does irritate me, though, is the new broom syndrome or icon smashing that is especially the trait of the lord of the flies site where some real experts get hounded or hectored unfairly. This site does not permit such a thing, happily, which Mr. B's site is a snake pit of mutual baiting and sophomoric high jinx that diminishes expertise overall and leaves everyone poorer.

When Mr. Hritz writes an answer here, then, I am confident that his assessment reflects decades of experience that can never be captured on this site, and we are privileged that he shares his knowledge. Such sharing takes a lot of work, precious time, and is but poorly repaid here, especially when threads in which some denigrate expertise overall. Then those who disbelieve in expertise or authority of any kind can find their way through the thicket of "SS cloth" on their own, whereby they will lose their shirts and a lot else in the bargain.Just to Learn something about SS Cloth Skulls how to see if real or not

New to the forum but well put. Not offending me at all I think we should all be able to take this. We are all adults and what yall have done helps all of us out more than people ever would have dreamed 15 years ago.

?

Well said, Herr Berthold....

And to respond to klinger,.....

I have read that there was a need for raw material to make this material to produce these Bevo items.

I have read how it was done and why. I have read what was used as a base material and the method used

to create it. That is a very very small part of practically nothing. Yet I learned it by studying. It was in an actual

book. I have owned some similar cloth skulls and handled others in real life.

The one thing on my mind is ,what is that "crinkle" sound from an SS visor hat top edge?
    Last edited by jws54; 09-21-2010 at 01:54 AM.

You have to have nice front pic's, not folded, but I can say that 3,4,5,6 are originals.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2