Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LAH Captain's Uniform - new to market

Article about: The Assmann catalog published ca. 1936 or so contains the second pattern SS Totenschaedel introduced in the course of 1933-34. One of the Assmann family was selected by Kurt Daleuge in 1927

?

Default Re: LAH Captain's Uniform - new to market

Well taken, my friend.

I only wish to explore this, and have asked Pete for further input.

No offense intended to any member.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement LAH Captain's Uniform - new to market
    P
    Many

Quote by Frog View Post
    Well taken, my friend.

I only wish to explore this, and have asked Pete for further input.

No offense intended to any member.
    Thanks. You have every right to express your opinion and I appreciate, as always, your signal contribution here.

Let me also state that I have no commercial interest in these things. All these dealers write to me for my opinion for which then they never pay me....nor do I ask them, which I should.

Such is also true for collectors, who are no less thoughtless generally in their demand for knowledge without recompense.

My over arching goal is to prevent this site from going the way of at least two other militaria sites in my experience.
    The word civility has re entered public debate, since so much has been done to debase and otherwise denigrate same in the past decade and more.
    The internet has an interesting effect on words, and sentences, surely, which are a mirror of thought and the discipline associated with its creation.

I cordially abhor distributed learning and distance learning and on line education with a passion, as much as I dislike "scull" threads and die striking fanatics, but my hope is that people will leave the screen here with the thought, "I learned something..." versus the desire to vomit which is usually the case with the other sites.

Denkt daran.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-14-2011 at 09:40 PM.

I certainly cannot add to the debate about the authenticity of a uniform by looking at photographs. A hands-on examination is necessary and, perhaps, more information on the uniform's prior history. I would think, if I was contemplating such a large purchase, that I might ask the seller for more information.

The replaced hat insignia is not a great concern as there are a plethora of original insignia available, should someone wish to look and pay the dear price.

The asking price is whatever is demanded by the owner. Whether it sells or not is only determined by a buyer.

Bob Hritz

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    I certainly cannot add to the debate about the authenticity of a uniform by looking at photographs. A hands-on examination is necessary and, perhaps, more information on the uniform's prior history. I would think, if I was contemplating such a large purchase, that I might ask the seller for more information.

The replaced hat insignia is not a great concern as there are a plethora of original insignia available, should someone wish to look and pay the dear price.

The asking price is whatever is demanded by the owner. Whether it sells or not is only determined by a buyer.

Bob Hritz
    Thanks and well said.

?

Thanks and understood.

I am of course keen on the market value of this getup, but agree for sure that it is of little significance here.

I am more interested in the authenticity of the Assmann badges, and will share any info received of course.

?

The only history I can add is that it came from an estate in Germany some 10-15 years ago, according to Pete.

Quote by Frog View Post
    The only history I can add is that it came from an estate in Germany some 10-15 years ago, according to Pete.
    Which easily explains the replaced badges, surely.

The SS cap badge Totenkopf is item number 22035 under the rubric of NSDAP Abzeichen in the Assmann catalog. It is on p. 55 of the Reddick Enterprise reprint of this item. My earlier reprint was done by Delta International in the late 1960s, I think.

This object cost .15 Reichspfennig in late 1940. Don't you wish you had cornered the market?

The Assmann catalog is always interesting because of its description of the Werkstoffe used in all regalia. Repays a careful reading, actually.

When I went to the hat store in Vienna, the woman told me that as you age, your head becomes fatter...maybe this is planned obsolescence in the headwear trade? She also said that when a hat becomes wet, it shrinks. Seems to make a great deal of sense to me.

LAH Captain's Uniform - new to marketLAH Captain's Uniform - new to marketLAH Captain's Uniform - new to market
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-15-2011 at 10:36 PM.

For what it is worth, regarding the insignia on the visor cap, I don't believe in it either.
    Here's a pic. compare with. This rare CupAl Assmann does not belong to me, and I did get the photo from serious insignia collector from another forum.

Badto666, that's TonyS's site, he is a member here too.

Thanks.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thanks.
    That must have been the shortest post you've ever made, my friend.

I hope Mr Whamond forgives me for posting the skull from the visor,
    but it's easier to compare this way. We're all learning. Atleast I'm trying to.

However, it would be easy to replace it with one of these.
    Last edited by Anders S; 01-16-2011 at 07:06 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast