Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic

Article about: Hello people, I am on the verge of purchasing this here, quite rare I think, assault wrap SS tunic, from the combatants of Metz. I am not 100% sure if this is genuine for I have never had th

?

Default Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic

Hello people,

I am on the verge of purchasing this here, quite rare I think, assault wrap SS tunic, from the combatants of Metz. I am not 100% sure if this is genuine for I have never had the pleasure of seeing something like this live. So the conclusion is, after checking the attached pics, can you please provide feedback about this uniform ?
    My knowledge of the battle of Metz is that it was defended by the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Division. Unfortunately I haven't found any information related to their uniforms used.

Awaiting your feedback,
    Thanks.
    Michael.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic   Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic  

Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic   Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic  

Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic
    P
    Many

I'm going to sit back and learn from the comments on this one. I have no clue if its real or not, but I have an opion in my head about it, so it will be interesting to see if Im right about this.

?

I don't know anything at all about tunics or uniforms, but what would cause rust spots like that?

?

Who knows where it was kept or where it was found ? Considering the age, it's not uncommon to find this type of piece as dirty as this one.

?

Quote by Adept View Post
    Who knows where it was kept or where it was found ? Considering the age, it's not uncommon to find this type of piece as dirty as this one.
    Well, like I said, I don't know anything about tunics or uniforms, but the pattern of the rust spots is strange. It makes me wonder how it was stored to end up looking like that. It almost seems like it would need to be wrapped around a big bunch of rusty nails or something.

Others who know their stuff will doubt be along to give you a good, thorough opinion.

?

Cant speak to the authenticity of the piece but I have a zeltbahn in my collection that looks to have been laying on a piece of expanded steel walkway for a long time as it is sun bleached and shows a criss cross pattern of rust were it was laying against the steel for ages.

Regards Mark

?

The cuff title which is very rare looks nothing like an original , the collar tabs are purporting to be a Totenkopf Div Unterscharfuhrer and i suggest a search around the forum for original examples of the Wrap to compare with !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Looks bad to me and does not appear to match examples I have seen images of, though I am not really up on these. Notice how the stitching used in its construction look very clean and new, though the rest of it looks worn and dirty. The same appears to be true of the award mounting loops.

These are very rare and would or rather should cost many 1000's to buy so you really need to do your own research and make sure you are happy before you buy it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I agree with Paul regarding the cuff title. Here's a genuine Metz 1944 cuff title for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Metz 1944 SS assault wrap tunic  
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

The insignia is all fake and poorly applied. One would never expect to find black insignia machine sewn to the face of the collar tab-especially in white thread! The 3rd SS Panzer Division Totenkopf did not fight in the battle of Metz and after 1941, served exclusively on the Eastern Front. A little historical research would easily determine the historical inaccuracy of this piece. I am not converse enough to discuss the garment itself when it comes to originality.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast