Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My Humble Attempt at an SS collection

Article about: by bigmacglenn1966 Nothing humble there, Ralph! That's a fine collection you've got going there, and nicely displayed as well! The prices for quality SS items are generally out of my league

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Very nice Ralph
    As mentioned above, there is nothing humble about it.
    Thanks Greg!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Humble Attempt at an SS collection
    P
    Many

Very nice collection and as long as you are happy with it, nothing else matters.

Everything here is top quality. What is the connection between the SS and the HJ photo? Did he belong to the 12th SS division? Thanks

Quote by DougB View Post
    Nothing humble about that Ralph!
    Well said. I think this assembly advances you well in rank. The presence of mind and will required to acquire even five authentic SS pieces, what with the cacophony and madness with it all, show you are
    no beginner.

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    Everything here is top quality. What is the connection between the SS and the HJ photo? Did he belong to the 12th SS division? Thanks
    Thank you Corey!
    The photo came together with this patch and it is my understanding that it represents someone who is in the SS but was once a member of the HJ. There may be more to it but unfortunately, that is the extent of my knowledge here.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Humble Attempt at an SS collection  
    Last edited by rbminis; 06-29-2014 at 02:21 AM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Well said. I think this assembly advances you well in rank. The presence of mind and will required to acquire even five authentic SS pieces, what with the cacophony and madness with it all, show you are
    no beginner.
    Thank you FB!
    I may not be a beginner but, I am certainly no expert either. Hence, I must often rely on the expertise of others here.
    Ralph.

Great pieces in there and agreed, no need to be humble.

Haha, the 'humble' dedication to your thread title mirrors the 'incredibly small' descriptor I used in my SS collection thread. As it turns out, neither term applies. As FB has so deftly observed, the ability to acquire even a handful of genuine pieces shows patience and focus in the search for honest examples.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Haha, the 'humble' dedication to your thread title mirrors the 'incredibly small' descriptor I used in my SS collection thread. As it turns out, neither term applies. As FB has so deftly observed, the ability to acquire even a handful of genuine pieces shows patience and focus in the search for honest examples.
    Thank you Glenn!
    Ralph.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    The photo came together with this patch and it is my understanding that it represents someone who is in the SS but was once a member of the HJ. There may be more to it but unfortunately, that is the extent of my knowledge here.
    As far as I know, the exact purpose of this sleeve diamond has not been verified as of yet.

Some believe that the patch identifies former HJ members in the SS, others believe it was for SS personnel acting in some kind of liaison- and/or training role with the HJ.

Personally, I think the "former HJ member" explanation is unlikely. The HJ was a huge mass organization, and HJ membership was actually compulsory after 1939 (although this was not 100% enforced, and there were certain exceptions to begin with), so former HJ membership was wholly unremarkable and certainly nothing that warranted a special distinguishing insigne on military uniform. Also, there are no known period photographs of the badge in wear, which would seem unlikely if all of the umpteen-thousands of former HJ members in the SS were authorized to wear it. (Unless the badge was instituted and manufactured, but never actually implemented.) Perhaps, though, it identified only certain HJ personnel transferred to the SS, such as adult HJ leaders or wartime volunteers?

I think the liaison-/training explanation is more likely, given the close ties between the SS and HJ, which only grew closer as the war progressed.

Needless to say, if any period information on the badge comes to light, I'd be greatly interested in it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast