Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My SS Panzer wrap LAH

Article about: Dear All, this is my fist post here and I want to begin with a my wonderful piece. I have bought it recently and it is one of the few rela good SS panzer wrap seen in the last years. I have

Default Re: My SS Panzer wrap LAH

Untouched or not, I would still be over the moon with this
    Attached Images Attached Images My SS Panzer wrap LAH 
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My SS Panzer wrap LAH
    P
    Many

bnz
    ?

Congrats Roberto your wrap in all aspects is right as rain and 1oo% original pz.SS that been-there. I am sure you will never get tired of it as I never with mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My SS Panzer wrap LAH  

?

Quote by don_kihotis7 View Post
    Untouched or not, I would still be over the moon with this
    I totaly agree and have no problem with this wrap but would still like to hear some opinions on cufftitle attachment in general.
    Are they usualy just loosely hand sewn on like we see here?
    If so, how can it be determined that CT's are original to a tunic and not added post 45?
    I'm genuinely curious about this having never owned a tunic that wasn't stripped almost completely.

PS. Hi Roberto, welcome to the forum, I hope you don't mind some discussion on these points. I think it would be useful for collectors who are trying to learn more about tunics and wraps just like myself.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My SS Panzer wrap LAH  

bnz
    ?

Ben,
    Rock-solid provenance is the only way to know for sure if an uniform is indeed untouched and unrestored: for example a tunic that can be traceable back up to 70 years ago, or a period picture of it in wear by an original owner, direct vet-buy with supported documents and/or photos, recent "attic" find by someone who you can trust for 101%, etc.
    I believe there were no regulations on how exactly insignia should be applied. Often it was done by professional tailors but often by werears themself who wre not very good with thread and needles. IMO the most trustworthy source to study how original isignia was applied is to examine "cut-out" pieces. You can see all the differences there: some insignia are neatly applied, and some cruedly, some by machine and some by hand. When I was in army, we too applied our insignia by hand, many of us held a needle in our hands for the fist time and our officers did not care much for our professionalism. All they care was insignia should be on the right spot firm and not loose.
    If insignia matches the condition of a tunic and a period thread was used for application, in many/most cases, it is impossible to determine if the insignia is original to the uniform or added post-war. Some collectors believe that period applied insignia does not "overlie" on the surface of the material because with the time it should get embedded into it. That is not always true, sometimes it is indeed embeded but often it is not too. Also it takes minimum efforts with just little time to embed a newly applied insignia into material (for example, sew it on with tight frequent stitches and leave it wet under press for a few days to dry, or iron it wet until dry from an opposite side - and the insignia will look like it was there forever).

?

Thanks for the input, very interesting, especially the point about embedded insignia not always being proof positive of "untouched".

Thanks my friends for the compliments!

About the wrap I have thought to trade it for a wonderful SS-Pz Rgt group of documents and soldbuch....if I find a good one...

Roby

very nice roberto.
    Cheers
    Dave.

?

Forgive me but how does showering compliments on this piece help anyone in understanding why it's considered authentic and so Wunderbar!?

I only bring this up because the thread has been resurrected and being that it's Christmas, I tend to give a thought to old friends like Richard P.
    One of the main reasons why Richard and myself become friends was because he had fantastic knowledge of how fabric garments are sewn together, constructed and wrote several, highly illustrative threads on WAF of the type of construction, most particularly of Pz Feldjacke and when I read these threads, I cannot help but to think that there is a lot more that should be discussed and analysed here.

Personally I'm tired of being told that this Pz wrap is bad and that one good without any solid evidence, research or even the common courtesy of explaining why either conclusion has been reached.

?

Too controversial obviously so let's all go back to sleep..

?

Any chance of some links to the threads Richard P made Ben? I never got to talk to Richard but he seemed like a very straightforward and knowledgable guy.

I can't say anything about the insignia on the wrap, the only uniform I owned was completely stripped. But like Ben I'd love to know exactly what to look for in these hyper rare tunics.

Cheers, Pat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast