Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mystery SS(?) Collar Tabs

Article about: Do you have any of his personal items? Uniforms, papers, medals, signatures, etc?

?

Default Re: Mystery SS(?) Collar Tabs

I'm grateful you posted on the threads provided!I love the photographic history you've provided for us all to see. Now they (your family) is immortalized here. I know there can be some stigma associated with certain family backgrounds before and during the war. You must and should be very proud! Thanks again for these amazing images. Also, I think those tabs may be the same. Looking closely at the image of your G-Grandpa I almost see some markings on the right tab, but I may be mistaken. I looked at a similar tab worn by the russian volunteers and thought it may look like it.
    ~Dean
    Attached Images Attached Images Mystery SS(?) Collar Tabs 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mystery SS(?) Collar Tabs
    P
    Many

?

it happens to be a Ukraine tab as well.. Mind you, I looked at your images and zoomed in and saw what I thought were markings..and what I thought the symbol looked like and looked for similar volunteer tabs...this looked closest and happens to be Ukrainian

Thanks, Dean! I really am quite proud of this! My family lost everything during the war. When they finally made it to America, they worked picking apples in New York's Mid-Hudson valley. Since then, the family has grown and become successful.

To be honest, I had a copy of the photo of my Great Grandfather for years. However, it was a picture that had been scanned and then faxed to me. The quality was so poor that all I could really tell was that my Great Grandfather was wearing a military visor, he had a "Hitler 'stache" and his name was Adolf! I'm a little embarrassed... but I always got quite a kick out of showing the photo of "Adolf" to people and seeing their reaction!

My Omi's sister Tonya recently had a stroke. Although she has mostly recovered, it really reminded us that my Omi will not be around forever. We decided to go through some pictures together and my mother found the original, much better quality photo of my Great Grandfather. I have been heavily researching and collecting militaria for about a year now... you can imagine how shocked I was to notice after all these years that he is wearing an SS visor and tabs!

Perhaps he was part of the Volkssturm? Maybe the hat was taken from a body or it was surplus. The possibilities are endless.

?

I'll bet you were stoked! I know I'd be!His tabs may be blank, I just thought I could make an image out.
    Also Noobkilla, These were his units visor and tabs for foreign volunteer, not Volksturm. Here's an image of Volksturm I have..KIA the bottom is a KIA Serb.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery SS(?) Collar Tabs  

Quote by Noobkilla73 View Post
    Perhaps he was part of the Volkssturm? Maybe the hat was taken from a body or it was surplus. The possibilities are endless.
    As he was never seen or heard from again and was last seen in Yugoslavia... I would like to assume that if he survived the war he would do everything in his power to be reunited with his family... I assume that he fell in combat trying to hold back the Soviet onslaught. But you're right... there probably really isn't a way to find out exactly what happened to him.

If I could find out where in Yugoslavia he was last seen... would it be possible to figure out what SS groups passed through there?

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    As he was never seen or heard from again and was last seen in Yugoslavia... I would like to assume that if he survived the war he would do everything in his power to be reunited with his family... I assume that he fell in combat trying to hold back the Soviet onslaught. But you're right... there probably really isn't a way to find out exactly what happened to him.
    If he fell to the Soviets, he was just defending his country. I'm sure everyone he was fighting with missed him. I wish I had a WWII German veteran in my family. Maybe I did. I have a common German last name. Oh well. He either fell a hero, or he probably survived the war. That's my take.

That is a very interesting story. Thanks for sharing your picture and family history. Cheers, Robert

Thanks for the kind words, folks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast