Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...

Article about: Hi All. I'd like some opinions on this cased SS lapel pin, as well as the other various pins you see in the photos (4 total). I've never come across a case for an SS lapel pin, nor have I ev

?

Default Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...

Hi All.

I'd like some opinions on this cased SS lapel pin, as well as the other various pins you see in the photos (4 total). I've never come across a case for an SS lapel pin, nor have I ever seen the other 3 pins shown in the photos, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Dzyner

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...
    P
    Many

The SS ZA pin does not belong in that case.

Wrong maker for starters.

No idea on the others.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The SS ZA pin does not belong in that case.
    Ah, good eye Ade. I think the current owner got them mixed up in the photos. There is another case in the lot (see photos below) that appears to be from the correct maker (Hoffstatter). Is this the correct case for this pin, and do you have any issues with either of the case or the pin in terms of originality (based on the photos)?

?

Any other opinions on the case, or the pins? I'd really like to know what the other pins are if anyone recognizes them (the ones other than the SS pin).

?

The SV on two of the pins is for sportverein (sports club) ASV is probably for Athletischer Sportverein (athletics club), the sports theme would go with the ski's on the other two pins. Hope this has helped.

I have been keeping an eye out for a nice SS zivilabzeichen. In the meantime, I've studied their characteristics quite a bit.

The pin in the photos has some qualities that are consistent with original pins, but others that are not. The most glaring defect is the fact that the shaft of the pin does not have a round base, and is simply soldered to the back of the pin's face. If you take a look at authentic examples, you'll find that the actual pin itself has a round metal base that has been soldered to the back of the face.

I also don't like the fact that the back of the pin's face seems to be a separate piece that has been attached. It seems that the letters and numbers have been stamped onto a round disc of metal that has been adhered to the back of the enamel portion. The original pins I've seen have the numbers/letters stamped directly into the metal backing of the pin's face. In other words, the round enamel/metal portion of the pin is all one piece.

IF this pin is authentic (which I doubt), it has been repaired in some fashion. Either way, this would NOT be considered a textbook example, by any means. If it were me, I would pass on this one and wait for a clearly original piece. Regardless, please be careful with these pins -- there seem to be more and more increasingly convincing fakes popping up on the market...

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I am quite certain that your SS-Zivilabzeichen is not a period original example.

I agree with the observations of Dave Ward. I believe this is a poorly cast example w/wrong pin attachment, two piece construction, and poorly formed "Hoffstaetter, Bonn." type. The runes on the obverse are also not correct.

I cannot really give a positive on the case, but to my eyes it appears to be a postwar example.

Compare with an example from my collection. One must be very careful with these as the market is flooded with reproductions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...   Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...  

Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...   Need help with CASED SS Lapel Pin...