Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need some advice about a SS visor

Article about: I'm looking at an SS enlisted visor for sale. It looks real but is missing the "SS" emblem on the top of the hat (inside), and it doesn't have a "RZM label" on the inside

hattonchase02
    ?

Default Need some advice about a SS visor

I'm looking at an SS enlisted visor for sale. It looks real but is missing the "SS" emblem on the top of the hat (inside), and it doesn't have a "RZM label" on the inside either? Do you think it's real and how much do you think it's worth? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some advice about a SS visor   Need some advice about a SS visor  

Need some advice about a SS visor   Need some advice about a SS visor  

2. # ADS

?

Default Re: Need some advice about a SS visor

Looks like it might be a good pre RZM cap. Skull was putting me off at first but could be a real SP40. What's the marking on the underside of the peak? size and name?

hattonchase02
    ?

You see that's what has me worried about it being a fake.....The only marking is the hat size L 58. I thought the visor part would at least have the SS black stamp? Thanks, Keith

?

Yes, it's a bit odd but I don't see anything else that really stands out as being obviously bad about the cap itself though. The lack of runes is not a concern on a cap of this era. Looks to be of the correct melton wool upper and trikot band materials, interior looks good. Pics aren't the greatest though so caution is obviously needed. FB's input would be extremely useful here.

pjm
    ?

Something to consider... even if the cap is real, it will be a hard sell in the future. Without all the typical elements like the visor stamp, RZM tag and SS in the crown, some people will think it's fake.

Better to invest in an unquestionable piece that will increase in value than one that only an expert will accept as real.

?

Possibly, but for every 50 black caps out there with all the Reichszeugmeisterei bells and whistles, you might find one or two, like this one possibly, that pre-dates all that. That makes it more interesting and valuable or at least, it should do!

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Possibly, but for every 50 black caps out there with all the Reichszeugmeisterei bells and whistles, you might find one or two, like this one possibly, that pre-dates all that. That makes it more interesting and valuable or at least, it should do!

Yes, a few others have been seen before - bad bird and ransacked interior considered, I always felt this one was interesting . . .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need some advice about a SS visor   Need some advice about a SS visor  

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I was in Germany, hence no answer to your query. This strikes me as an authentic Sonderanfertigung cap made without RZM marks of the conventional kind. It is not a pre-RZM cap, since the latter emerged by 1930 or so. It is a non RZM cap, which existed, and is of merit to an advanced collector. But colleague Paul is correct that most collectors follow the general dictates of taste, even as Ben VK points out, this piece is more rare and desirable to a true expert. Happy hats.

Hat looks like a good private-purchase visor purchased outside the RZM system--very rare to see on EM/NCO visors--I like it.

nice non-rzm visor, sell/trade me the skull if you buy the visor