Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform

Article about: Despite the lack of any real discussion on this (and in fact it is denied) in Wilkins' fine volume "The Collectors Guilde to Third Reich Military Headgear", I believe it was alread

?

Default Re: New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform

Despite the lack of any real discussion on this (and in fact it is denied) in Wilkins' fine volume "The Collectors Guilde to Third Reich Military Headgear", I believe it was already well-know by the time of the book's publication (2002) that Lubstein (of EREL-Sonderklasse fame, and etc.) was in fact HS #81. It is not difficult to imagine that he was doing this sort of work to keep up production; certainly the quality of all #81 visors I have seen is of Lubstein quality.

So who knows.

If Gary is watching this site (he once worked for Bill Shea, and may still), I would appreciate his input.

Else, I strongly recommend his book for your reference on visors.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform
    P
    Many

I do not think that the civilian names of the A 1 and A 2 license holders were well known until a couple of figures publicized same on these sites.

The Wilkins book has many strengths and some flaws. Such is normal in almost all books. I pointed out a volume which I assert sets the standard, and none of the Schiffer books meet this standard. It is not a point I want to belabor further here, since such is likely too arcane and arch for those reading these lines.

Moreover, I wonder whether what some of us old f@rts consider to be reference books are even relevant to young people whose ends and means of learning are far removed from how I or maybe you seek to make sense of the past.

Such a question goes beyond the limits of this thread, but when I started with these foetid woolens, I had to write letters to Andrew Mollo and wait for him to answer, which to his great credit he did. I even went to London and bought the books from him in person, truth be told. That was a long time ago.
    Such was a different world, with much to recommend it over the digital confusion of the present. His books did not have the pictures I have posted of pieces I have encountered. And the person whose query prompted Bruce and me to exchange knowledge has not been especially forthcoming in his own posture.
    All of this comprises the present and its glories.

In any case, if you do not really learn your material with this black SS stuff, you will presently find yourself bilked out of a great deal of money.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, as well as less foetid woolens in the year 2010.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  

I have the impression that Wilkins left the employ of Shea to seek his fortune as a civilian around the armed forces.

I do not see him post on sites any longer.

We salute his hard work and energy as a scholar and look forward to further accomplishments by him and others.

Quote by Frog View Post
    Despite the lack of any real discussion on this (and in fact it is denied) in Wilkins' fine volume "The Collectors Guilde to Third Reich Military Headgear", I believe it was already well-know by the time of the book's publication (2002) that Lubstein (of EREL-Sonderklasse fame, and etc.) was in fact HS #81. It is not difficult to imagine that he was doing this sort of work to keep up production; certainly the quality of all #81 visors I have seen is of Lubstein quality.

So who knows.

If Gary is watching this site (he once worked for Bill Shea, and may still), I would appreciate his input.

Else, I strongly recommend his book for your reference on visors.
    In reading Uniformenmarkt for the years 1936-1939, there is a transformation of the Lubstein adverts in fact over the years that is poorly reflected in the Wilkins book. Noteworthy is especially those adverts in which the statement "official contractor to the [NSDA] party" stands, which for whatever reason the author of the illustrated Schiffer book did not include.

There are quite a few articles on cap making in its industrial and crafts dimensions in these journals, and surely not all of the knowledge contained within has been interpreted in the Wilkins book. I think the Spronk Saris works are more comprehensive.

One other striking thing is that the black SS kepi was really called an "SS Topf," or SS pot in the contemporary parlance.

That is a new one on me.

The boundaries of knowledge are always receding.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to head wear seekers on all the leading continents.

Some more images apropos the odd desire to own such objects.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform   New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  

New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform   New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  

New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform   New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  

New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  
    Attached Images Attached Images New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform  New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform 

foetid, and more foetid.New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform

If I had the money, I would buy this one. I could, but someone else can take the baton on this one. In fact, Robert has two for sale, or at least has had so.

An SS Totenkopfverbaende uniform in black did or did not sell recently in the US for a goodly sum of dough.

Even more foetid.New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform

New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformSeek and you shall find.New Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS UniformNew Poster - Looking To Buy An Authentic SS Uniform

?

Wonderful collage. Are all of these in your collection?

Quote by Frog View Post
    Wonderful collage. Are all of these in your collection?
    There you are, dear friend, you reappeared. I thought you might have been swept away by the generalized horror of the 21st century. The property in post # 78 is mine, in fact. Do give word of your doings. We cannot operate this site without you. your humble FB

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast