Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One of my former tunics...

Article about: SS Cavalry officer from SS Cavalry brigade Reiter regiment 1

?

Default Re: One of my former tunics...

The story behind the uniform was it was aquired by a very astute Flanderen collector and was found sealed up in the wall of a Bavarian home...the tunic looked to be well used and the mud from field use as it was on the heals of the boots as well. It was sold to a collector of SS tunics who when he liquidated his collection consigned it with Bruce Herman...I knew of it before Bruce and so I contacted him right away to buy the uniform.I flew to Los Angeles to pick it up and was in love with it and still am. But I could no longer afford the high end things and sold it to pay off two cars and a hospital bill...This uniform IMO should be a dream aquisition for any collector of combat uniforms...A faker would not have thought of the shoulder board cyphers since this unit faded into the Florian Geyer and Maria Theresa units....The new owner may have identified the original owner he was doing some extensive research.

I agree with Bob Coleman also that sometimes collectors are a bit too picky and quick to give opinions without studying much..I think on field uniforms you get what you get they were not overly
    picky about tailoring as long as it met standards.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement One of my former tunics...
    P
    Many

?

One of my former tunics...One of my former tunics...One of my former tunics...One of my former tunics...One of my former tunics...Here is more of the other tunic I owned that was named to a leader at one of the Hitleryouth schools in Austria outside of Vienna...I think as it passed through collector hands over the years someone added the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold...but the tabs are absolutely stunning and original to this jacket sewn on with the same thread tailoring the collar...the Eagle was replaced at some point. The runes were of very high quality, beveled work.
    The tunic appears to be an M42-43 retailored...it is not..it is infact a privately tailored tunic and of very nice quality...I have found one other vet aquired stripped officers tunic that was constructed in the same manner with the same liner configuration only using pleated pockets.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    The stitching on the arm eagle is a good example of human use of the item. Most of the newer Internet gurus and their idiotic concepts never take in to account that these items we collect were used and altered by need. Possibly, the original eagle became damaged and required replacement. I would find no problem with this alteration as a faker would never have done such an amateurish job. The article must be studied in the whole to come to a conclusion. I recall this tunic from days gone by at other mediums.
    very true , of note i find items are judged on who's posting and not the item it self more and more .

Our friend John has a keen eye and is a meticulous analyst of the evidence.

Quote by hawkins View Post
    very true , of note i find items are judged on who's posting and not the item it self more and more .
    Welcome to the Forum. What you say has merit. With uniforms especially, unless a glaring error exists in the garment, it is impossible at times to make a positive determination just from images. Consequently, at times we also have to gauge the experience and credibility level of the poster and rely on same.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Welcome to the Forum. What you say has merit. With uniforms especially, unless a glaring error exists in the garment, it is impossible at times to make a positive determination just from images. Consequently, at times we also have to gauge the experience and credibility level of the poster and rely on same.
    Well said. Some of us have been at the game for a while and have striven mightily to build our reputation through hard work as well as investment in a collection. Others have not done so. There is no substitute for the actual ownership and inspection of real woolen items.
    John, who has recently joined us, is known to some of us from a long march through woolens over more than the past decade. It is a trick of fate that little authentic SS material exists, and much controversy surrounds what remains. This controversy is more problematic for the late arrival because of the chaff and misinformation as well as d i s information in the internet. The world is unfair, plainly, and becoming more so each day. Those of you interested in this material will generally find your needs better addressed here by citizens of the site than if you stumble into the traps, snares and delusions that eventuate elsewhere.
    There is no final authority, no disinterested person atop a pillar bathed in heavenly light who will determine these things in an ideal way. The past is conflicted and foetid woolens of the SS are especially so. Had I grey SS tunic, I would show it to Bob Coleman and John P. for their assessment.

Postscriptum: but I have no grey tunic and likely never will, not the least because of the heart ache they engender. The grey caps are a pain in the a$$, too, truth be told, but I have some handle on them.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-19-2012 at 04:21 AM.

?

Thanks to John for sharing the history behind the tunic, a true rare find for those seeking a tunic with honest use.

Best,

CMH

nice tunic !

mine :

One of my former tunics...

?

Very nice sir !!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2