Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Opinion on SS Panzer M42 Tunic

Article about: Thanks for understanding. Mario

The insignia are all original which is a good start.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on SS Panzer M42 Tunic
    P
    Many

?

This thread kind of reminds me of a similar one I've seen before.
    I can understand why some members never post their items..for fear of negative comments without source material or backup images.
    I have seen some absurd comments by "reputable" members that puzzle me.
    Please have some evidence when commenting, gentlemen.

Dean.

?

The usual bickering over what constitutes an "untouched" uniform and the ludicrous importance placed upon that requirement has become utterly tedious.

Bob's post (#45) was a breath of fresh air in regards to the whole topic.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    The usual bickering over what constitutes an "untouched" uniform and the ludicrous importance placed upon that requirement has become utterly tedious.

Totally agree with the above statement but the problem is that the untouched SS tunic has become very much the "Holy grail" for many collectors and this situation has been used by some dealers to get a better price for their merchandise.
    Personally, if I can obtain an original tunic and then restore it with original matching insignia then I am happy because it will look as it was intended to look at the time.
    Once a blank tunic has been through the hands of some it will eventually emerge back into the market as rebadged "untouched" original in any event.

Quote by BenVK View Post

I second the above.

I wonder what is the reputable source for the statement that 99% of all SS tunics have been rebadged? I would strongly disagree with such a notion without some documentation to back such a statement up. I know of hundreds of SS tunics in collections that are in the same condition as the day the war ended. Sorry but I can not let such an irresponsible statement go without it being questioned.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I agree with Bob Coleman. What utter nonsense....an untruth fostered by persons with little no experience, but with much affect and social pathologies.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-13-2013 at 06:25 PM.

It is akin to the cap badge lunacy thingy, which I also revile and disdain, i.e. untouched, unmoved, un whatever ed.

The glamor dealer in so. California invented all sorts of artificial categories of rarity in the 1980s or so,which have become like a fungus on the mind and soul of most persons.

This fetish also bespeaks the fact that many persons here are totally devoid of any practical military experience, whereby, as mentioned above, people adapted their uniforms constantly, and one fails to recall that textiles were rationed even before the war, and supplies of much of anything became critical in the mid to later phase of the war.

We suffer with a lot of on line blow hards whose major role is to make noise to cover the facts that: a.) they have no real collection; b.) they cannot really collect effectively because they are too challenged by the complexity of the task; c.) their major goal is to deprive others of the pleasure of their property through carping and disinformation. Basta!

Postscriptum: the status anxiety of this silly epoch and the draw-bridge-going-up-panic-while-the-peons-land-in-the-moat piece only add to the generalized misery.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-13-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Here, for instance, is a query by a collector from elsewhere that betrays the self defeating phenomena of the aspiring SS collector, especially the assumption of failure at the outset, which opens up all sorts of problems, in turn, versus a kind of rational analysis of the facts, a step-by-step process. No one answered this person, either.

"....Hello all,

I am a fairly experienced cloth headgear collector in the Wehrmacht space. However, I have recently begun searching for a representative example of a W-SS officer's visor. I will admit that, while I am quite good at spotting repro/"put together" caps, my experience with SS items is slim.

So far, I have seen many examples that scare me. It seems that most W-SS officer's caps available have no maker's mark, missing sweatshields, and questionable insignia. The ones that are original are the Clemens Wagner "contract" caps that have the size stamp on the liner.

Can anyone who has experience with these provide some insight into what I should be looking for and some pitfalls I may want to avoid ? .."

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast