Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor

Article about: Now here is another visor I have received permission to share with the forum. F-B has commented on the dearth of original material lately, let's hope this is a nice original and not a well e

?

Default Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor

Now here is another visor I have received permission to share with the forum. F-B has commented on the dearth of original material lately, let's hope this is a nice original and not a well executed fraud.

All photography is subjective. Detail and aesthetics are often enemies and these photographs are a compromise of both. Enjoy them if you dare.

EDIT: I didn't photograph the piping seems but they are in proper order, matching original examples.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor  
    Last edited by Bob Hritz; 06-26-2010 at 06:10 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor
    P
    Many

Default Re: Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor

In my opinion this hat exhibits a number of red flags. For a hat purporting to be from 1939 it would appear to be made from the wrong material and contains an RZM tag that had been phased out years before. The side lining material suggests a rebuild and the VA stamp with mismatched date numerals is of a type found in reproduction early field caps. The sweatband and its stitching attachment only add to the feeling of discomfort.
    I'm afraid it would not a hat I would care to have in my collection.
    d'alquen

?

Thank you for these wise points. Anyone else have thoughts on this item?

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    In my opinion this hat exhibits a number of red flags. For a hat purporting to be from 1939 it would appear to be made from the wrong material and contains an RZM tag that had been phased out years before. The side lining material suggests a rebuild and the VA stamp with mismatched date numerals is of a type found in reproduction early field caps. The sweatband and its stitching attachment only add to the feeling of discomfort.
    I'm afraid it would not a hat I would care to have in my collection.
    d'alquen

Can you show us the tag with more clarity, please? Here are some from the era 1934/5 or so....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor  
    Attached Images Attached Images Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor  Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor  Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor 
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 06-26-2010 at 05:00 AM.

The SS-VA ink stamp is totally wrong. The untreated pastboard crown leaves me cold. I do not care for the skull or it's placement. The RZM SS stamp is not to my liking. The white tag, in a 1939 dated hat, is something that brings me confusion. I would be most concerned about that hat.

Bob Hritz

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    The SS-VA ink stamp is totally wrong. The untreated pastboard crown leaves me cold. I do not care for the skull or it's placement. I would be most concerned about that hat.

Bob Hritz
    I do not want to march into anyone's parade here, but I share the concerns expressed by Derek and Bob on this piece. It has many flaws, some of which are new to my jaded eyes.

Sorry.

A stamp as contrast... I am going to live to regret this.
    Attached Images Attached Images Orange Oilcloth NCO Visor