Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SS

Article about: This material has been discussed on other forums and may therefore be already known to some members, but I thought it is of general interest and thus worth pointing out here as well. Brief,

Default Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SS

This material has been discussed on other forums and may therefore be already known to some members, but I thought it is of general interest and thus worth pointing out here as well.

Brief, but interesting color footage of the Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SS may be found here:

Von Krieg zu Krieg - Der Nahe Osten (2011) - Spiegel TV - YouTube

Of interest are the white turbans worn by three of the men, the absence of any special insignia and (look closely) the small crescent moon device worn in addition to the rank pips on the Imam's left collar patch.

The formation's commanding officer can also be seen in this footage. Born as Wilhelm Hintersatz in 1886, this Prussian officer had served with Osman troops during WWI and converted to Islam in 1919, taking on the name Harun el-Raschid Bey. (The SS-Dienstaltersliste of 9 Nov. 1944 lists him as "Harun-el-Raschid-Hintersatz, Wilhelm".) He survived the war and died in 1963.

(For some more biographical data, see: Axis History Forum • Harun el Raschid-Hintersatz )
    Last edited by HPL2008; 02-07-2014 at 08:45 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SS
    P
    Many

Thank you. Very interesting material.

thanks HPL.

Very good indeed!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Great links and food for thought as always, HPL.

Material that goes to prove that there was more to the First World War in the Ottoman lands than merely T.E. Lawrence and David Lean's monumental movie.
    The German-Turkish relationship has been a pivotal one in the fate of Europe and beyond, and our Andreas is the kind of learned, subtle and accomplished historian to remind us of this fact.

There is always something new to learn. Thank you for posting this obscure data.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SSHere is an excellent scholarly work on the wider subject.

Thank you for posting this. Most interesting.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    The German-Turkish relationship has been a pivotal one in the fate of Europe and beyond, and our Andreas is the kind of learned, subtle and accomplished historian to remind us of this fact.
    Many thanks for your kind words; coming from a true historian, they mean a lot to me. It is certainly not a title with which I am comfortable myself, though, as it implies the kind of scientific approach and academic training that I lack. I am merely an enthusiastic layman who dabbles in these things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast