Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title

Article about: First SS item for me, I've also got another Croatian volunteers cloth badge on the way

?

Default ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title

First SS item for me, I've also got another Croatian volunteers cloth badge on the way
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title   ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title
    P
    Many

I like it.

?

Some close ups, don't know much about cuff titles but this looks pretty mint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title   ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title  

ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title   ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title  

ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title   ostturkischer waffen-verband der ss cuff title  

Very nice. Well done!
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Rory, is that the one from German War Booty?

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks Ade, and no got it in a trade Nick but ill have a look at the one you mentioned for value as would rather have a nice tr medal bar instead

The Osttürkischer Waffen-Verband der SS was formed 1944 as 1. Ostmuselmanisches SS-Regiment with the support of the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Hajj Amin al-Husseini, with the intention of expanding it to a division, Muselmanischen SS-Division Neu-Turkistan. The men came from the Turkic units in the Heer that were disbanded (450th, 480th and I/94 Turkic battalions), prisoners of war and men working in Germany.
    It was transferred to Belorussia in February 1944 were it trained and was used for anti-partisan missions.

The unit contained some troublesome elements and SS-Hauptsturmführer Billig tried to handle the problem by shooting 78 suspected mutineers, but he was soon removed from command.
    It was sent to Poland where it fought the Polish Home Army during the Warsaw uprising, being attached to the SS-Regiment Dirlewanger.
    It was transferred to Slovakia in the autumn of 1944 to help fight the uprising where it was redesignated Osttürkischen Waffen-Verbande der SS. In December 1944 450 - 500 deserted from this unit of which 300 later returned.
    The Azerbaijani regiment was removed from the unit 30 December 1944 and transferred to Kaukasischer Waffen-Verband der SS. It received soldiers from the disbanded Waffen-Gebirgs-Brigade der SS (Tatar Nr. 1) February 1945 to replace the Azerbaijani soldiers.
    It was transferred to Austria were it continued to train until the end of the war.

Commanders
    SS-Obersturmbannführer Andreas Meyer-Mader (? Jan 1944 - ? Mar 1944)
    SS-Hauptsturmführer Billig (28 Mar 1944 - 5 Apr 1944)
    SS-Hauptsturmführer Hermann (27 Apr 1944 - 2 May 1944)
    SS-Sturmbannführer der Reserve Franz Liebermann (? June 1944 - 11 July 1944)
    SS-Sturmbannführer der Reserve Franz Liebermann (29 July 1944 - 30 Aug 1944)
    SS-Hauptsturmführer Reiner Olzscha (? Sep 1944 - ? Oct 1944)
    SS-Standartenführer Harun-el-Raschid Bey (? Oct 1944 - ? Dec 1944)
    SS-Hauptsturmführer Fürst (? Jan 1945 - ? May 1945)

Manpower strength
    Jan - Feb 1944 3.000
    Mar - May 1944 3.500
    June - Sep 1944 4.000
    Oct 1944 - Jan 1945 5.000
    Feb - May 1945 8.500

Order of battle
    Waffen-Gruppe Turkistan
    Waffen-Gruppe Idel-Ural
    Waffen-Gruppe Aserbaijan
    Waffen-Gruppe Krim
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Thanks for that Nick, I had a quick look on Google and what I saw was it was just Russian POWs who volunteered to fight rather than rot in prison camps, a lot more detailed

No probe Rory I really like it! I'm tempted to buy the one onGWB!

Nick

Perhaps also of interest are the two links in my first post here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-un...der-ss-395527/

(They lead to color footage of members of the unit and information on its commander, respectively.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast