Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

oxidation of bullion on collar tabs

Article about: Greetings. I often see SS collar tabs with both runes and standarte numbers with some degree of oxidation. I usually purchase such items in as good as possible condition but this one has cau

?

Thanks colleague. I am certain Walt Disney has his imagineers working on this very problem.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement oxidation of bullion on collar tabs
    P
    Many

DrCMH upholds the fine standards of our site.

The transient nature of things forms the basis for reflection and thought, as we find here.

Collectors do huge damage to regalia, in fact. Caps are especially vulnerable to being pulled apart.

Thanks CMH for the great detail of Al oxidation processes. I studied materials science (and corrosion technology ) but is now ancient history to me. I also recall that some Aluminium alloys are prone to Stress Corrosion Cracking when exposed to aqueous halides. This further adds to the general ethic of keeping sweaty fingers away from such items.
    A piece of ww2 trivia off the point. A massive Krupp hydraulic press was "given" to Australia as reparations. Apparently still the biggest in the southern hemisphere, it sits unused for the last 68 years in a materials fabrication laboratory at ANSTO (my old employer) in Sydney. Occasionally, it is used to straighten warped barbeque plates. How Australian is that?

?

Quote by backtothefront View Post
    Thanks CMH for the great detail of Al oxidation processes. I studied materials science (and corrosion technology ) but is now ancient history to me. I also recall that some Aluminium alloys are prone to Stress Corrosion Cracking when exposed to aqueous halides. This further adds to the general ethic of keeping sweaty fingers away from such items.
    A piece of ww2 trivia off the point. A massive Krupp hydraulic press was "given" to Australia as reparations. Apparently still the biggest in the southern hemisphere, it sits unused for the last 68 years in a materials fabrication laboratory at ANSTO (my old employer) in Sydney. Occasionally, it is used to straighten warped barbeque plates. How Australian is that?
    My thanks for your kind thanks. Chemistry is very near and dear to me, especially within the scope of physical chemistry and spectroscopy. I had intended on making a profession of it, but, fate had other plans for me.

I can recall performing unauthorized experiments to find the best (translate: highest caffeine content) cup of coffee in town. It became a bit of an obsession for me and my colleagues, dissecting each sample to see just exactly what made it taste so good. My group was composed of the textbook ADHD kids, so, the idea of the barbecue plates seems perfectly logical to me.

For those who are wondering...no, there weren't many women beating down our doors. Luckily for me, that became more common on the medical campus.

Regards,

CMH

The collector vernacular is "white death", and like the moth and the carpet beetle, I live in abject fear of it.

With regard to the coil-spring bullion (the kind found on visor cap insignia), it was once said that a fiberglass brush will greatly reduce it.

I never had the intestinal fortitude to try such a thing--if anyone else has, let us know the result.
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    DrCMH upholds the fine standards of our site.

The transient nature of things forms the basis for reflection and thought, as we find here.

Collectors do huge damage to regalia, in fact. Caps are especially vulnerable to being pulled apart.
    Sir, I agree on all points.
    Leather seems to have a particular quality of losing all mechanical strength without any perceptible change in appearance. Degradation and fraility is usually visibly apparent on most other materials. Fingers probing visor hats particularly invite disaster. Regards, Paul

Good contributions. Thank you Gents.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

The oxidation is going due unproper storage, as usual old items stored in an old boxes in cold and moistured places , outside of the living rooms, where normally temperature and moisture approximately the same in general all the time. Also this problem could be found in an old houses with stowe heating, where the temperature could be changed.
    The same process of the oxidation was changed in the past 20 years. At my own discowery, 20 years ago, helmets and aluminum kit as messkits etc, found on the surface ground, in forest, which has been there over 50 years, are perfectly keep the original condition, with just a minor age damages. Now they are turned to the rusty dust, just for 20 years. I think the nature changed, a lot of acid rains, and heavy solvents, are dissolved in the air, and get back to the earth everywhere. That is making all the air around us more agressive. If you proper keep your items in the dry place, nothing happens. But remember, moth like dark, closed areas, with the limited air ventilation, it could eat the tunic just for a week. It likes mostly the glued areas, than the wool itself.
    I keep my items open, but in dark room, I like to see and touch my items, and nothing happened up to today
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Very thoughtful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast