Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Painting Signed by German Officers?

Article about: Local lady was told this painting was a gift to a superior and was signed by SS. Any help is needed. Looks like regular Police. She is looking for an appraisel of value. Thanks, all. MrFaulk

Default Painting Signed by German Officers?

Painting Signed by German Officers?Local lady was told this painting was a gift to a superior and was signed by SS. Any help is needed. Looks like regular Police. She is looking for an appraisel of value. Thanks, all. MrFaulknerPainting Signed by German Officers?Painting Signed by German Officers?Painting Signed by German Officers?Painting Signed by German Officers?Painting Signed by German Officers?[ATTACH=CONFIG]

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Painting Signed by German Officers?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Painting Signed by German Officers?

A birthday gift to a commander of the Schutzpolizei/Police by his officers...Not SS, however...
    It would certainly be more desirable if it had a military theme, in my opinion...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 02-05-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Hi Steve,

Nice to see you around again, hope you and the missus are well!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks, Ned.....Good to be back. I was in the hospital quite a bit last year, but doing better!!!!

I have to disagree a little with Glenn's opinion.

The man who was presented with this painting was Dr. Heinrich Lankenau and he was an SS-Gruppenfuhrer (SS membership no. 310496) and Lt. Gen. of the Police in Munster during 1942. He had previously worked since 1937 for them in Bremen before being promoted and moving to Wehrkreis VI Munster. Here is some info about him on Wiki:

Heinrich Lankenau

Below is a photograph of him with SS-Oberst Gruppenfuhrer Kurt Daluege and his 2 i/c SS-Gruppenfuhrer Adolf von Bomhard taken at the Rathaus in Bremen in 1939. It should be remembered that Daluege took on Heydrichs' role after his assassination, and was responsible for the liquidation of the village of Lidice as a result.

Painting Signed by German Officers?

The painting is pretty ordinary, and would appear meaningless in the context of this bit of history, but I think it's subject would hold an interest, perhaps close to his heart, for Dr. Lankenau.

His doctorate was not in medicine, law or industry, it was in theology and philosophy, he gained it at the University of Tubingen in 1926. Therefore a painting of a church/cathedral would be of some personal significance to him. In December 1942 he succeeded to command the Police in the occupied Dutch Territories and was based in the Hague. He finished the war on the staff of the SS Oberschnitts 'West' as the district administrator for Beckum.

Unlike Daluege, he survived the war and the resultant war crime trials, but was interned until 1948. He then went into the cement business. He wrote a book in 1957 that denied his part and that of the men under him in any war crimes, although the facts are that men under his command were responsible for the loading and guarding of trains to the death camps, the hunting of Jews, escaped POW's and guarding them on the forced marches at the end of the war, as well as sending some of his force to help guard the Warsaw Ghetto. He died in 1983.

Here's a couple more pic's, including one of him with his staff outside
    his headquarters at the Villa ten Hompel in Munster.

So, there's more to it than meets the eye!

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Painting Signed by German Officers?   Painting Signed by German Officers?  

'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

any value here..

Quote by MrFaulkner View Post
    any value here..
    The main value to a military collector would be the urkunde. As it is connected with the painting, which has no appeal to someone who collects militaria, this would have a very limited collector appeal and thus no great value. Pricing on such an item is very subjective. As an old collector friend of mine used to say, "without a swastika, it lacks buffoon appeal."
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

lol.as i thought.u guys are the best,,