Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Plane tree smock - any good?

Article about: From the little I know, the pattern (#2 ) and print seems OK but it just looks too fresh? What say the experts - a good repro or an original? Thanks, Dan

Default Plane tree smock - any good?

From the little I know, the pattern (#2 ) and print seems OK but it just looks too fresh?
    What say the experts - a good repro or an original?

Thanks, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Plane tree smock - any good?   Plane tree smock - any good?  

Plane tree smock - any good?   Plane tree smock - any good?  

Plane tree smock - any good?   Plane tree smock - any good?  

Plane tree smock - any good?  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Plane tree smock - any good?
    P
    Many

Would not like to call it. It looks ok to me too.

I have my doubts, I'd need to see in hand. Like the ghosty in the patt but....
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-29-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added pics

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    I have my doubts, I'd need to see in hand.
    Yes, pity we don't have "smell-o-scope" ..... that would help !

So what we got here appears to be a first type Platenmuster smock, with the 1940 black overprint variation. The fabric is somewhat faded on both side, which is a little unusual as usually the autumn colours being less favoured (worn inside)retained their colour. There is very strange wear to the sleeve cuffs, I've never seen that before on a smock. But elsewhere no sign of wear, or rips you expect or repairs expected with a used smock. The elastercised waist is completely sagged if ever it was gathered as it should be. That looks very odd to me. It should retain the gathered waist if sown correctly. The cuff elastic is better. Fabric in closeup of eyelet looks wrong to me and not the very tight weave pattern seen on real ones. In my opinion a reproduction smock perhaps used in re-enacting.

The seller said the elastic was gone? .... but was leaving any originality decision up to the buyer as he was also of two minds. ....

Are you happy to say what price the seller wants for this? If it is very low then he knows it is a copy. An original is going to be $2000 plus for sure.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Are you happy to say what price the seller wants for this? If it is very low then he knows it is a copy. An original is going to be $2000 plus for sure.
    Oh, its 1/4 of that which is why its probably a copy. BUT, stranger things HAVE happened and in the ad the seller admitted he didn't know if it was good or bad either.

For original, asking price would be closer to $20,000. Yes, this is SS madness.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    ...and the rest! More like £25,000

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast