Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question about double runes collar tabs

Article about: Hi. I've learned that during a short period of time, the SS used double pair of runes on their collar tabs as they thought that the shoulder boards would be enough to distinguish a member's

Default Question about double runes collar tabs

Hi.

I've learned that during a short period of time, the SS used double pair of runes on their collar tabs as they thought that the shoulder boards would be enough to distinguish a member's rank. My question is, were the collar runes literally mirrored or were the runes placed ''correctly'' on the other tab? Which one of these two variants was actually used, or both? Pictures here are reproductions.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about double runes collar tabs
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

For a period of time from Oct 1939 until May 1940 when collar rank insignia insignia were reintroduced for wear , dual insignia were authorized . After May 1940 use of dual insignia was forbidden . But some continued the practice . Newly formed elements of the SS-VT were authorized to wear runic insignia on both collars by officers only , shoulder boards distinguished rank . Both mirrored runes and SS SS were used .

Some period pictures to illustrate ;
    A curious one of Otto Gille , captioned as " Oberführer " ( but then why runes at all ? )
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about double runes collar tabs  

Well-known picture of Dr. Lardschneider ;
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about double runes collar tabs  

Same Dr. Lardschneider appears in Angolia - the only picture that I know of actually reversed runes ..
    Last edited by Winkelman; 06-03-2015 at 12:35 AM.

Picture of Fritz Klingenberg , as appeared on the site of Martin Stiles .
    Attached Images Attached Images Question about double runes collar tabs 

Thanks, the photos are great!