Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question about open collar tunics

Article about: Hello. Annoyed from this ads?   I'd like to ask, were NCO's of the SS allowed to wear the open collar tunic like this shown in the picture, so was this against the regulations or not? A

Default Question about open collar tunics

Hello.

I'd like to ask, were NCO's of the SS allowed to wear the open collar tunic like this shown in the picture, so was this against the regulations or not? And if it was not, how common was it? I couldn't find information about this elsewhere so I hope you guys would know.

Question about open collar tunics

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about open collar tunics
    P
    Many

It is typical that SD personal wore such tunics similar to the black service tunic.
    The above photo is actually an SD member.
    See also Uniforms of the W-SS M.D.Beaver SD section for references.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about open collar tunics  

Thanks, I was aware that the person in the picture I posted belonged to SD. I don't think I have an access to Beaver's productions. I just want to know if any NCO's such as an oberscharführer of the SS with SS runes on the collar tabs wore such open collar tunic in any occasion.

Vol V of Mollo's work on SS uniform treats the SD/Sipo etc. You would do well to look there. The photographic evidence of these persons in wartime suggest a wide variety of uniforms, military and civil, i.e.
    the uniform derived from the black SS uniform. The Beaver book includes colored pictures of extant uniforms, but it does not explain the complicated organizational aspects of this obscure regalia as does Mollo.

There are also pictures of Waffen SS officers in such open collar field grey uniforms, more or less, based on the black uniform with runes on the collar. SD/Sipo people did not wear such badges, at least in the vasy majority of images I have seen in four decades.