Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question about SD uniforms

Article about: Hello. I am greatly interested in SD (Sicherheitsdienst) uniforms. What I'd like to ask you experts is that, even though SD mostly used the so called ''M37'' type of wool tunic in the field

Default Question about SD uniforms

Hello.

I am greatly interested in SD (Sicherheitsdienst) uniforms. What I'd like to ask you experts is that, even though SD mostly used the so called ''M37'' type of wool tunic in the field (like in this thread GRENZ - POLIZEI Uniform Ensemble), would it be acceptable to build an SD field uniform from an Waffen-SS tunic, like an ''M42'' tunic? Did the SD ever use W-SS tunics?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about SD uniforms
    P
    Many

Question about SD uniformsyes, they surely did.

As illustrated by FB's photo, it is perfectly acceptable.

In the pre-war years, SD personnel wore the black and grey open-collared SS service tunics, with the black uniform quickly discontinued after the outbreak of war. At some point during the war, the wearing of field grey military/W-SS uniforms was authorized. The field grey field blouses were worn parallel with the earlier-style tunics until the end of the war.

Shoulder boards were at first of the A-SS style, then of the army/W-SS style (worn by enlisted ranks with the corresponding sleeve chevrons and NCO Tresse) and finally of the police style. Branch color for the army/W-SS- and police style boards was "toxic" green.

(I don't have my references with me, hence the lack of dates for the changes.)

Thank you very much for your responses, gentlemen! Too bad that there are no SD colored, toxic/poison green shoulder boards on the repro market.

CBH
    ?

I believe this is the color , didn't East Germany use a similar color ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question about SD uniforms   Question about SD uniforms  

Quote by CBH View Post
    I believe this is the color , didn't East Germany use a similar color ?
    Yes, that's the green underlay color in question, although the inner cords and the "V"s of the outer cords were black rather than brown on SD/Sipo boards.

Yes, that's it. The DDR volkspolizei/grentzgruppe used somewhat similar styled shoulder boards but I think that the color was darker.

Question about SD uniforms
    Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    As illustrated by FB's photo, it is perfectly acceptable.

In the pre-war years, SD personnel wore the black and grey open-collared SS service tunics, with the black uniform quickly discontinued after the outbreak of war. At some point during the war, the wearing of field grey military/W-SS uniforms was authorized. The field grey field blouses were worn parallel with the earlier-style tunics until the end of the war.

Shoulder boards were at first of the A-SS style, then of the army/W-SS style (worn by enlisted ranks with the corresponding sleeve chevrons and NCO Tresse) and finally of the police style. Branch color for the army/W-SS- and police style boards was "toxic" green.

(I don't have my references with me, hence the lack of dates for the changes.)

zum Beispiel.