Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5

Article about: Thanks to our leader, Wim Saris, for a wonderful, complete answer.

This thread is such an education!! Thank you guys !

As a side note, I bought Wim's 'Handbook of the Hitler Jugend' years ago when I was an HJ collector! Great stuff!

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5 
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5
    P
    Many

At this point, may I add that it is remarkable and speaks volumes of the quality of this forum how a rather simple and short question has bloomed into five pages full of detailed top-quality information, all backed up by a handsome volume of period documentation, -imagery and -artifacts.

Not just this particular thread or sub-section, but the forum in general benefits greatly from the extensive efforts by a whole number of advanced collectors, skilled researchers/historians and published authors.

(Despite my own humble contributions, I can say this without boasting as I fall into neither of those categories.)

Yes, it would be great that so now and then someone took the material from various threads at hand
    and make an article out of it for publishing.
    It won't be me, as about a year ago I have decided not to write articles anymore. To much work and
    too less of response. I do not write for German magazines anymore as swastika's should be covered
    and I do not intend to take part in history-falsification! So, so now and then I take part with discussions
    with this great forum.

I have to dedicate myself to eventual further volumes for the headgear-series. Hope enough time is
    left for me to continue!!

Thanks for the above. Andreas is a pillar of our site, whose contributions are exemplary and have raised the level of inquiry to the sunny uplands.
    I do not want to pretend to shift the burden onto Wim, whose writing projects are monumental and significant. Were I to retire, which I might yet do sooner than I planned, I could do it. However, there are younger new brooms here, who know how to marshal the digital things in some coherent way.
    This site has accumulated a great deal of material. We also need to enshrine Hugo's site as a sticky in ours somehow, that is, to support his site, and co link with his fine, fine material. The interdisciplinary approach here is a fine thing, indeed.

When you insist on a high standard, the results speak for themselves, which is what Adrian and his friends have done for us.
    The other sites are trapped in gun show lore, on live savant balderdash, and childish behavior.

This material on this thread is a case study in the complexities of Allgemeine SS insignia, the limits of the secondary sources, and the contradictions of the primary sources. The difficulty of discerning the text of the originals, that is Quellenkunde, is a favorite of mine and thanks to my friends here for their examples of such sources with which the advanced and successful collector should be familiar and have a working understanding.

Hugo Rietzel's fine site and a source of marvelous knowledge

Reichszeugmeisterei

That which has been presented here is material is, for me as a young collector, impressive!

I have great respect to the operators of the forum and of course to those who receive the Forum live with their contributions on!

My site is just a small light F.B., for 40 years experience in this field.

Thanks. Quality is the measure of all things, not merely length of service.

FB: "new brooms"?
    For many, many years I am trying to find a young lad/collector and interested in uniform-regulations and such,
    who I could get interested to write articles. For that he would be allowed to use my documentation and with the
    help of my friends (who are aware about this) surely would assist with material from their collections.

The goal would be: "new blood" and thoughts about interesting subjects. The lad/collector could take over from
    me at the end, as one thing is for sure, I will nog be able to write another 10 or more years (this is what I think).
    At the end he would be given (for free) my archived material. Just with the only condition he would continue writing
    and not would be sitting on it and try to hatch!

Do you really think I did find such lad in all those years? No. No way! A few only tried. Only very few indeed did write
    an article, but after that they stopped. A second one was not ever planned. Others not even started the smallest job.
    Not for one page. The reason: simply while they were not able to write. They did not even know how to organize
    the material for doing so. Many do not have the proper knowledge of the German language. By now I must say, I have
    given up. When something happens too me, my both daughters know what to do with the material.

Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5Question Allgemeine SS cuff title 5I take your point, and, since I am a history teacher in somewhat more than grade or primary school, I am well aware of the challenges with all of this. I confront them on a daily and even hourly basis.
    Your work and archives deserves a fitting monument and a successor generation to maintain it. But I am keenly aware of the problems of research in the details of the III. Reich.
    I cannot do research the way I once did, not the least because the burdens of responsibility destroy concentration and professional focus which in an earlier time was much easier, much more tractable. It is no longer. Perhaps in Europe in the right circumstances, it would be again.
    In any case, thanks for the wise and informed thoughts as well as the skeptical view of what we do.
    I greatly admire all your work and dedication.

Happy new year.

?

This has been one of the most fascinating and educational threads I have read to date on this forum. Thank You Gentlemen for making my day. I could not have asked for a finer way to end my night. To you all, I give my deepest heart felt thanks.
    I wish you luck Mr.Saris in your search for this Lad/collector. He shall be one very fortunate individual to have been taught by You!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast