Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Rarity Compared - The Waffen SS Officer Schirmmuetze vs. The Waffen SS NCO Schirmmuetze

Article about: After reading countless threads on the WAF and WRF for the past two years, this is my first post anywhere. I am curious about something that more experienced collectors will better understan

Default Rarity Compared - The Waffen SS Officer Schirmmuetze vs. The Waffen SS NCO Schirmmuetze

After reading countless threads on the WAF and WRF for the past two years, this is my first post anywhere. I am curious about something that more experienced collectors will better understand than me. I collected TR items back in the 1950s & 60s, but sold what I had back then and never looked back.....until now. Although I collected something completely different from TR material (19th century photographs made in Texas), I have come back to an area of collecting that I loved and missed for all those years. Spent the last two years looking at the WAF, and now the excellent WRF. Just reading posts, threads and studying what members had to say. During this period, I also spent a good deal of money buying the "must have" TR references that all collectors use. I've read 'em and even though I feel better education that when I began, I understand that one can learn only so much from reading. Worse for me, it's the Waffen SS material I really like (especially headgear).....the area of TR collecting that presents the most pitfalls. So, after looking at many dealer websites, the various forums, etc., I ask this question of other forum members. Why are Waffen SS officer
    visor caps more expensive than NCO visor caps? There are several officer caps available right now on dealer websites for prices in the general range of $12,000 to $15,000 USD. Yet, I seldom see NCO visor caps even available, and when they are, they are usually priced for less money than an officer's cap. Supply and demand doesn't seem to be at play here? Empirical evidence tells me that more officer caps are "available," so I don't understand why there is such a price difference. I would appreciate hearing comments from other members.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rarity Compared - The Waffen SS Officer Schirmmuetze vs. The Waffen SS NCO Schirmmuetze
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Rarity Compared - The Waffen SS Officer Schirmmuetze vs. The Waffen SS NCO Schirmmuetze

Hi Sadietex, welcome to the forum and a very good question!

My personal opinion is that most dealers are ignorant of the true status of rarity in regards to a lot of items, SS Schirmuetzen being one category, at least!

It's probably fair to say that most collectors place a higher value upon Officers hats than NCO hats whether they be Heer or Luftwaffe or even SS. I guess that has something to do with the assumption that Officers caps were all private purchase and there for made of better quality materials and construction?
    It's a false assumption, especially in regards to SS caps because for the most part, grey SS Officers hats offered these days are most usually Kleiderkasse items and are of rather poor quality and construction and appear out of the woodwork quite often.
    In comparison, grey NCO caps are seldom seen anymore but no appreciation of that fact is placed upon them in terms of value.
    I would surmise that a grey NCO cap with private purchase markings is probably one of the rarest caps out there.

The all singing and dancing black NCO hats with the runes and tags are quite common in comparison but most of the collecting world has yet to wake up to the fact. Serious hat collectors do know this however which is why most NCO black hats remain unsold on dealers websites and will for eternity.

Default Re: Rarity Compared - The Waffen SS Officer Schirmmuetze vs. The Waffen SS NCO Schirmmuetze

Quote by sadietex View Post
    Supply and demand doesn't seem to be at play here?

Supply may not play a part . . . but I guarantee demand does. And to some degree, the titilation an officer cap commands over that of an enlisted man as well, I'm sure.

In an empty room . . . place the best possible private purchase enlisted SS cap on a table . . . and the best possible private purchase SS officer cap on the same table next to it . . . then, one by one, individually bring each collector you know into the room, and offer them a choice of one of the two caps - either one, for an equal price.

Regardless of one's knowledege for supply and comparative scarcity, I bet you find demand will still lean heavily on the side of the officer cap.

?

I'd have to agree with that. It's all about demand.

I once had a very interesting conversation with Pvl. I wanted to sell my Paul Kaps Pioneer about a year ago and asked if he could sell it for me.
    I stated my price and he said no way because his customers couldn't care less that it's a Kaps or that it had velvet piping or that it's the most frikin beautiful cap that you could ever own. He said that his customers just wanted a "crusher" that looked like a crusher and that meant flatwire insignia and that you could fold it up inbetween your hands..

Oh dear, the ignorance...

A beautiful cap such as that, velvet and all . . . such wonderful details, only to be left upon deaf ears and eyes by so many?

I often surmise, if the rest of world knew of these kind of things that stroke us - I dare say, we would certainly be called geeks, wouldn't we?

Personally, I think the Officers material simply has the better Look to it. The silver bullion cording, the rich black velvet bands, etc give it that dramatic all important iconic "Look" that most people and collectors associate with the SS. Their uniforms and paraphernalia were hard to beat-whoever designed them definitely knew what they were doing- and the Officer's in particular were the best of the SS-the top of the lot in looks. So, that's my opinion on it, anyway. They're so pricey because everyone simply wants one.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

I used to buy and sell classic cars, small time only...
    The people who can afford the true rarities, the most expensive cars in the world etc don't usually have a clue about why it is so rare.
    They just want to own the car that they have been told is the "most rare GT40 on the planet"
    They have no individual knowledge or expertise, they rely on their buyers for that.
    It's all a bit sad.

My small minded idea on it is, an officers cap would more likely have been used in the field and a NCO's more for dress purposes.

?

Interesting conclusion, I would have said the opposite was true.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Interesting conclusion, I would have said the opposite was true.
    Isn't field use more desirable especially for WSS? for me it is - just my opinion
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-30-2013 at 03:22 AM. Reason: added text

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast