Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

SA/SS pilots wings SS Fliegersturm

Article about: hello from Germany, neeed help fot this Item ,It is embroidered with silver thread. Can it be original? Thank you and greetings beauty

Considering this is not my area of collecting, i remain fascinated by the wealth of information all you gents have accumulated over the years and are generous enough to provide the forum members . I hope the next generation appreciates your efforts as much as we do.

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA/SS pilots wings SS Fliegersturm
    P
    Many

Not to distract too much from the SS aspect of this thread but an interesting shot from 1934 that I believe I have posted before but seems to be, to a degree, relevant here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA/SS pilots wings SS Fliegersturm  

Another example...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA/SS pilots wings SS Fliegersturm  

Thanks again for all the fine data.

The shown photos cause we are off topic from the SS, as things need to be explained now!!

Nice photos. This wing you see often worn within the Deutsche Luftfahrt and related.
    I did use some in various of my books (aiguillettes). Shown in wear with the earlier posts
    are the so-called Tätigkeitsabzeichen (distinctions for this organization) and are NOT
    the SA-Version.

With these distinctions the wings can be long (12 cm) and short (7 cm. See drawing from
    a regulation with function indication). They are look-a-likes, but are different from the Stadnicki
    form. Note that the middle ring extends somewhat with the shown photos from the
    wing (which is not with the SA version, see image). Further I do not see the "opening"
    next to the ring and between the wings..

The SA-version:

The versions for Deutsche Luftfahrt and related:

One can be confused quite easy!! The Luftfahrt-wing is officially worn upon right. Maybe
    the "old" members followed the rule for the SA (or SS) upon left.

The wings are described in "Die Bekleidung und Abzeichen der deutschen Luftfahrt"
    from November 4, 1933:

Reading the last part it would be plausible the SS-Flieger-badge would have had also
    press-buttons or hooks at the reverse. If... as here one is speaking of a white tunic
    for the summer.

I'm getting a little behind here. Here are the translations for the last three documents from Sido's adventures in bureaucracy.

First, the transcription of Sido's original award document:

"Transcription
    Award Certificate

The SS-Truppführer
    of the Fliegertrupp Augsburg 1/I.

Franz Sido

is awarded the Badge for SS Pilots.

Munich, 18th Nov. 32

The Commander of SS Aviation
    signed: Häfner

Accuracy of the transcription is confirmed:
    The Commander of SS-Junkerschule Braunschweig
    A.B.
    stamped
    signed: signature
    SS-Obersturmführer and Adjutant

For the accuracy of the transcription

[signed]
    SS-Hauptsturmführer"

Again, this is a second-generation transcription of the first transcription submitted by Sido on 20th July 1937.

The letters of 28th July 1937:

"The Head of the SS-Hauptamt
    IA/0 File ref. 23 d/14.7.37

Berlin, 28th July 1937

Re: SS-Pilots' Badge
    Reference: attached file
    Enclosures: 6

To the
    Verwaltungsamt SS
    Munich

Attached for your information is an exchange of letters concerning the SS-Pilots' Badge, with particular emphasis on page 2 of a letter by SS-Sturmbannführer Sido, Braunschweig of 20.7.37.

It requested to provide the applicant with the permission for manufacture of the SS-Pilots' Badge as requested in his letter.

Notification of the referral was made.

The Head of the SS-Führungsamt

[signed: H. (= Hausser)]
    SS-Brigadeführer
    "

"The Head of the SS-Hauptamt
    IA/0 File ref. 23 d/14.7.37

Berlin, 28th July 1937

Re: SS-Pilots' Badge
    Reference: Your letter of 20.7.37

To
    SS-Sturmbannführer Franz Sido
    Braunschweig
    Loeperstr. 1/0

On the basis of the submitted documents, the matter concerning the SS Pilots' Badge has been handed over to the Verwaltungsamt SS as the agency in charge. You shall receive the relevant notification from there.

The Head of the SS-Führungsamt

[signed: H. (= Hausser)]
    SS-Brigadeführer
    "

Thus, here is my chronology from post # 37 in an updated version:

On 10th June 1937, Sido requested permission from the RZM to have these badges made for himself.
    The RZM didn't know what to make of that and, a month or so after receipt of the letter, forwarded the matter to the SS-Verwaltungsamt on 12th July 1937.
    The VA had never heard of that badge either and passed the matter on to the SS-Hauptamt on 14th July 1937.
    On 17th July, Paul Hausser of the SS-Führungsamt (then a component of the SS-Hauptamt) informed Sido that nothing was known about this badge, requesting information on when and how it had been instituted.
    Sido replied on 20th July 1937, explaining the nature and history of the badge and the reasons for his letter and submitted transcriptions of the 1932 letter notifying him of his award and of the actual award document.
    Satisfied with this, on 28th July 1937, Hausser then passed the matter back to the Verwaltungsamt, requesting Sido to be granted his permission and notifying Sido that he would hear from the Verwaltungsamt.

Bravo, Andreas. We are very lucky to have you, to say nothing of Mr. Derek and Mr. Wim with their wonderful resources.

Well done Wim with the required clarification. To get back on topic I have been going through early orders as promised and here is an early SS-Befehl that brings us back to the subject of SS fliers.

The thread keeps flying high with more fine material from d'alquen! Here we go:

"The Reichsführer-SS
    Department I f.

Munich, 14th January 1932.

SS-Order -D- No. 1

1.) Effective immediately and independent of the Nationalsozialistisches Fliegerkorps (NSFK)*, SS-Fliegerstürme are to be raised within the individual SS-Abschnitte.

2.) The relationship of the SS-Fliegerstürme to the NSFK is the same as that of the SS-Motorstürme to the Nationalsozialistisches Kraftfahrkorps (NSKK).

3.) It is hoped for that members of the SS-Fliegerstürme will join the NSFK.

4.) A manpower table as well as a list of aviation personnel already reported to us shall be sent to the SS-Abschnitte in the near future.

5.) Particularly to be taken into consideration when recruiting for the SS-Fliegerstürme are:

a) People who own private aircraft or who have the right to use aircraft free of charge (members of aviation clubs).
    b) Those who are in the possession of a valid pilot's license.
    c) Observers on aircraft, radiomen, aircraft technicians, master craftsmen of the aviation industry, carpenters etc.

6.) As long as the SS-Fliegerstürme are still in the process of being established, all aviation personnel are to be included in the service assemblies of an SS formation, if possible, an SS-Motorsturm.

The Reichsführer-SS
    signed: Himmler

For the accuracy:
    [signed]
    SS-Oberführer
    Department I f.
    "

*) The first incarnation of the NSFK, which existed from 1932 - 1933 before it was replaced by the DLV, which in turn was replaced by the revived new-model NSFK in 1937.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast