Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Schutzstaffel SS stickpin help please

Article about: These came in a grouping without any provenance so I am always skeptical as warranted. I have spent a couple hours comparing backs and fronts and still have not been able to determine if the

?

Hello Larry, I'm glad to see your post. I too have one of these and have been speculating that these type of unmarked pins were actually SS dagger buttons but never having held an SS dagger, I could not be sure. So if it turns out that this is the case, at least it retains some value to a collector.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Schutzstaffel  SS stickpin help please
    P
    Many

The concern I have for stickpin collectors is...... are these Dagger runes buttons created postwar to be sold or made to believe they are period?
    I will express that ..I know nothing about stick pins ..but after viewing the first 3 pins with a newer type backing minus any patina leaves me to think that ..runes buttons may have been used.

As seen here from our link within ..to view only the reverse side of a runes button that has been pulled away from the grip.
    SS Dagger Runes Buttons

Im curious from the forums stick pin collectors what are the actual sizes in diameter to be compared to SS dagger Runes buttons.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    The concern I have for stickpin collectors is...... are these Dagger runes buttons created postwar to be sold or made to believe they are period?
    I will express that ..I know nothing about stick pins ..but after viewing the first 3 pins with a newer type backing minus any patina leaves me to think that ..runes buttons may have been used.

As seen here from our link within ..to view only the reverse side of a runes button that has been pulled away from the grip.
    SS Dagger Runes Buttons

Im curious from the forums stick pin collectors what are the actual sizes in diameter to be compared to SS dagger Runes buttons.

Regards Larry
    Larry, I believe they are created postwar to deceive collectors. My particular pin is 10mm across, slightly concave, and looks exactly like the removed runes buttons. However, I had never seen the reverse of a removed button and didn't realize it had a protrusion like a rivet. I'm not sure how easy it would have been to grind that down flat to attach a pin so I don't know if that's what it actually is. The bottom line is theses pins are not authentic but I was hoping that at least it utilized a real component of TR era item. I guess we'll never know for sure. Thanks, Al

Schutzstaffel  SS stickpin help pleaseSchutzstaffel  SS stickpin help please

I measured all three pins and they were 9.98, 10.23 and 10.18. I do not own any SS daggers to compare so I am relying on Larry. Mine also have a slight concave backing.. It is interesting that the quality of the enamel and silver seem pretty good but that is coming from a novice collector. Fantasy items made long ago is my guess.
    John

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2