Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

solving a mystery

Article about: by hawkins ? not sure what you mean ? saying thanks for helpfull input witch it was ! The manner in which you broke the comment up did not make sense(helpful input)and appeared to be a sarca

Quote by hawkins View Post
    1/ is there any photos showing a diamond shape insignia worn on the right sleeve for the german allgemeine or know of some regulation to a unit . i know there is for the dutch and flemish.
    I can't think of any possibility.

The only SS sleeve diamonds worn on the right upper arm were the "SS" ones worn by personnel of the Dutch and Norwegian Germanic SS (not the Flemish G-SS, who wore it on the left upper arm).

Otherwise, the only SS sleeve diamond worn on the right sleeve was the "Death's Head" sleeve diamond for personnel on the staff of a concentration camp commandant, but that was worn on the right lower arm.

One sleeve diamond occasionally seen on SS uniforms that was actually larger than an SS sleeve diamond was the badge for former members of Freikorps Epp, a well-known wearer being Julius Schreck. However, this, too was worn on the left lower arm; at least I have never seen it worn in another position.

thanks yes i have read that book , the diamond shape line that is left on the upper part of the right sleeve is a lot larger yet for it comply with the dutch there should be a trace of a diamond on the left slevee yet i can see none from what i can see under the 1936 dated Kampfbinde,
    Not a diamond, actually, but a triangular badge (or an eagle badge for the Norwegian G-SS).

the tunic it self originates from Nuremberg taylor
    In that case, it would be very unlikely to have found its way into the G-SS by way of collected/re-issued German A-SS uniforms. A tailor-made tunic was the wearer's personal property and would not have had to be turned in when the surplus black uniforms were collected early in the war for G-SS and Schuma use. This would have only affected SS-property issue uniforms and unissued stocks.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 08-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement solving  a mystery
    P
    Many

Thanks to Andreas for a fine, comprehensive post which requires a great deal of effort on his part. More helpful at the outset here would have been, as Adrian indicated, a photograph as orientation.

I wish to underscore Andreas' point as concerns the re claiming and re issue of black uniforms etc. A uniform that was the property of the SS man was not liable for such a thing versus those items in the quartermaster system of the SS, i.e. SS property. I do not doubt that such uniforms were indeed re directed, but I also think that the numbers involved were less than significant, as these Germanische SS organizations were hardly of great size and their role seems as much to have been to appear in news reels versus some staggering order of battle. Or someone will correct me.

In any case, we have people here from the target countries of the Germanische SS who have some expertise in this matter.

We recently included some images of Danish SS uniforms in their variety.

solving  a mysteryAttachment 562484solving  a mysterysolving  a mysterysolving  a mysteryI own at least three to four SSVT uniforms and more Allgem. SS ones of the issue type, and they somehow eluded re issue, being sent to the Schuma, being burnt in 1945 or 1946 and on and on.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 08-31-2013 at 07:10 PM.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    I can't think of any possibility.

The only SS sleeve diamonds worn on the right upper arm were the "SS" ones worn by personnel of the Dutch and Norwegian Germanic SS (not the Flemish G-SS, who wore it on the left upper arm).

Otherwise, the only SS sleeve diamond worn on the right sleeve was the "Death's Head" sleeve diamond for personnel on the staff of a concentration camp commandant, but that was worn on the right lower arm.

One sleeve diamond occasionally seen on SS uniforms that was actually larger than an SS sleeve diamond was the badge for former members of Freikorps Epp, a well-known wearer being Julius Schreck. However, this, too was worn on the left lower arm; at least I have never seen it worn in another position.

Not a diamond, actually, but a triangular badge (or an eagle badge for the Norwegian G-SS).

In that case, it would be very unlikely to have found its way into the G-SS by way of collected/re-issued German A-SS uniforms. A tailor-made tunic was the wearer's personal property and would not have had to be turned in when the surplus black uniforms were collected early in the war for G-SS and Schuma use. This would have only affected SS-property issue uniforms and unissued stocks.
    thanks for your ( helpfull input )

"One sleeve diamond occasionally seen on SS uniforms that was actually larger than an SS sleeve diamond was the badge for former members of Freikorps Epp, a well-known wearer being Julius Schreck. However, this, too was worn on the left lower arm; at least I have never seen it worn in another position."
    Hello HPL,
    This one is for you. As the old saying goes: 'never say never'. Here is a photo from April, 1937 that shows the Epp diamond on the upper arm.
    d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture solving  a mystery  

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Hello HPL,
    This one is for you. As the old saying goes: 'never say never'. Here is a photo from April, 1937 that shows the Epp diamond on the upper arm.
    Thanks for that (even though it proves me wrong )!

Your archives are an endlessly amazing source of photographic evidence and period documentation for anything and everything ever worn by any SS man!

Knowledge in all of this is filled with exceptions, contradictions, and details which delight the subtle mind and confound the dullard one.
    Thanks to our colleagues for the congenial work. The ding bat site has some Germanische SS devotees there, so those in search of such knowledge might look at some of the threads there, but I am not going to include them here as I recall seeing things there over the past decade.

thanks for your ( helpfull input )
    Please explain this comment.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Please explain this comment.
    ? not sure what you mean ? saying thanks for helpfull input witch it was !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast