Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?

Article about: Foetid woolens shrouded in confusion and mayhem! Myself, I am weary of the mayhem. It is made worse by the push button opium of the internet and bad manners that reign here.

Default Re: Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?

The moderator of this forum, who is an advanced SS collector, can also well make a comment here. Is that not what moderators are for?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?
    P
    Many

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Here are some things I have gotten from Bruce Herman. I do not think I have to say anything more that Bob Coleman brought me to this site, and his collection is surely a leading one of NSDAP items in the world, without peer. If this site today leads, as it does, versus the maroon @$$wipe site, it because of Bob Coleman.

?

Firstly, I'm glad we can discuss these matters in a well behaved environment. Secondly, we have the right people in place here to come to the correct conclusions about these items, of that I'm sure. Thirdly, I always think very carefully before posting any doubts I personaly have about an item, especially one that is potentially worth a lot of money.

My doubts were based on a few details I could see in the initial photos. Maybe it's the photos but the yellowish colour of the lining threw me right from the start. I'm much more comfortable with the champagne colour rayon of the examples FB has so kindly posted. The way the lining has been sewn into the cap was also a concern because it's quite amateurish. There were other factors as well that I'd rather keep to myself, no point giving all my hard learned lessons away for free.

The second batch of photos show some unique "fingerprints" of the makers art or in this case, the makers errors. I've attached the photos that highlight what I'm talking about.

Perhaps it might be fun if I don't say what I can see here right now and let you all judge them yourselves? It would be interesting to hear other peoples views because I will be the first to admit that I zero in on every last stray stitch and empty hole which does tend to annoy people!

I know Bob won't mind me posting my doubts because he is more than aware that he has my upmost respect.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?   Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?  

Ben-
    I have no problem with discussion on the cap. I owned it for many years and never had any question about it. I would never pass a mistake down the road to someone else. At times, it is understandable that we become paranoid about these things. This piece is a legitimate, untampered with black officer's cap.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Perhaps it might be fun if I don't say what I can see here right now and let you all judge them yourselves? It would be interesting to hear other peoples views
    No one willing to have a go at this?

KSH
    ?

Quote by BenVK View Post
    No one willing to have a go at this?
    Well - I do not consider myself to be in a position to authenticate the cap in question. But I find it peculiar that the stitching that runs directly below the lowest ring of piping is exposed above (outside of) the sweatband. But then again I am an amateur.

Regards,

Kenneth S-H.

Hello everybody. Thank you very much for contribute with your experience opinions. It's clear this forum is great. How I said before I don't doubt about this hat because I trust in people how Bruce Herman or Bob Coleman. ¨Maybe the reason of the doubt out about the pictures or missing information about the visor¨
    And.. Gentlemen Could you help me about what name do you see inside the visor? I would like to get information about him..

?

I can't help you with the name, sorry.

However, it's only right that I finish what I started and explain what I can see in the photos.
    It's quite interesting actualy because the sweatband sewing around the back of the hat caused the operator some major problems. In my images you can see that 2 attempts were made on the sewing machine. I believe the first attempt is the one highlighted by the yellow arrow which was going way off line and so was stopped. The second attempt, blue arrow, went way off line as well but was continued. Look how close it is to the bottom edge of the leather!

As Kenneth has also noted, the exposed stitching on the black wool is where the exterior of the cap was folded over and sewn through the pasteboard. (this occured after the piping was sewn on) A skilled operator would then sew the peak and sweatband on in one single operation and the top of the s-band should be placed over the fore mentioned exposed stitching that we can see here. In fact the stitching line of the s-band should be right on top on this exposed stitching. Have a look at the hats in your collections and you will see what I'm talking about.

What does this all mean then? Well, contrary to what some might be thinking, I actualy believe this is a very good sign that the hat is authentic. The whole hat isn't very well made and has numerous sloppy workmanship characteristics which makes me think we are looking at one of the last authentic black hats made. At the very least, we are not talking pre-war quality here by a long long way.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?   Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?  

thank you for the additional data.

?

My pleasure FB.

We all possess different skills and knowledge. Mine seems to be along the lines of forensic study where as others excel in academic research.
    We are fortunate that both worlds collide here and can work in harmony together.

For example, I think I'm correct in saying that period documents frequently discuss the skill shortages within the TR uniform manufacturing industries and do so at some lengh and detail. A topic we have discussed more than once already.

For me, it's very intersting to see the results of that skill shortage in the flesh. Granted, you can pick out a hundred M43 fieldcaps and see the evidence in all of them of the production urgency, i.e. the sloppiness of sewing. Schirmmuetzen are a different matter though, the standards of sewing are usualy very much higher. And so it's quite a surprise to see how badly made this particular black is. A very interesting surprise because not only does it ask questions of the manufacturing standards at the time it was produced, it also might answer a few questions about how late in the day black hats were still being produced at all.

For instance, the cap is devoide of any RZM markings at all. Is it of so late production that the RZM no longer functioned in respect of these black garements?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast