Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?

Article about: Foetid woolens shrouded in confusion and mayhem! Myself, I am weary of the mayhem. It is made worse by the push button opium of the internet and bad manners that reign here.

Default Re: Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?

At least any doubt of it being an original period hat are now put to rest.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?
    P
    Many

?

Compared to the hat itself, the name or what's left of it is about #52 on the list of interesting things.

That's all I'm saying.

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Indeed but are we not talking about a sonderklasse hat here? Melton wool and not Trikot, gold rayon lining etc? If so, the poor workmanship makes it even more interesting by the very nature that it's not an subsidised RZM offering which, in all cases I've ever seen were much better made...
    Any hat of this type until early 1941 had to be made by an RZM licensed firm of some kind. The black uniform was surely in wear after this date. How many of this kind of cap were made later is unknown to me. The firms in question were licensed by the RZM, they were not subsidized. Rather, such firms had access to sought after public contracts. Such firms paid a fee to the RZM to finance its operations, as visible with the license and possibly with the tags, themselves. Saris makes the point that throughout, caps of this type are encountered without RZM marks, and yet they were made by an RZM licensed firm. The bulk of what we see and accept as the norm, had extensive markings. The Heimtuecke Law of late 1934 required that such caps be marked, of course, but the requirement was not always enforced. Collectors take special joy in stamps and tags, and assign magical meaning to them, as I do. However, the tags and the stamps have been faked for well over forty years.

The grey cap from 1938/9 that I recently secured has no RZM tag, though its black brethern of same date do have an RZM tag, as a rule. I have no explanation, save for the tag fell out or it was never there in the first place. Dogmatism dis enables the collector to respond flexibly to the reality of this material. The maroon website is infamous for its stickies and check lists, which are a poor substitute for acute observation and reflection. This material is too complex.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    Compared to the hat itself, the name or what's left of it is about #52 on the list of interesting things.

That's all I'm saying.

Many collectors, myself not included, place great value on a name, and the biographical data of said person. I never much cared, really.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    At least any doubt of it being an original period hat are now put to rest.
    We are grateful for said fact.

?

Subsidized was the wrong word obviously, I'm tired of always having to have the correct terminology at my fingertips.

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Subsidized was the wrong word obviously.

sanctioned. In any case, the black uniform is always interesting and surrounded by many unknown unknowns.
    And, of course, such caps were faked from a very early moment. Here is one. Many inexperienced collectors encounter the Atwood, Berlins aelteste Muetzenfabrik thingies, and acclaim them as real. All too droll.

In another thread, I offered my interpretation of the evidence, but the new collectors make no use of it, and it lies there moldering.

pi pa po.

?

Sanctioned, thank you FB.

Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?Somebody can help me to guess whose name is written here?
    Quote by BenVK View Post
    Sanctioned, thank you FB.
    It is not as if the original German in these Nazi thingies is easy to understand. It is not. I have more than forty years working with primary Nazi documents in university, in archives, here and in Germany, and the RZM circulars and the SS directives are turgid, bureaucratic German that is hard to make out.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-30-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Dear Ben, you have or had an RZM license. The general functions of the RZM are in the front of the handbook, and they are reproduced somewhere on this site at the front.
    The SS Beschaffungsamt, VA SS files are the real treasure, and I have not seen these save for what colleague d'Alquen has provided us.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast