Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen

Article about: Thanks to my colleagues for the RZM tag survey. The problem with all of this is really quite simple. Most people have never handled real material, and in this instance, a goodly chunk of rea

Default Re: Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenThanks to my colleagues for the RZM tag survey.
    The problem with all of this is really quite simple. Most people have never handled real material, and in this instance, a goodly chunk of real material.
    Hence, the electric pictures combined with superficially similar fakes (....made from our images...) make the new collector stumble into a trap.
    Many little used or unissued black field caps existed in Dachau or somewhere, and were more or less plentiful in my early years. I think Bob Coleman and Bob Hritz can vouch for this statement,
    However, more recently, in the deluge of fakes, the black overseas cap has been faked in large numbers along with so much else, i.e. expertly made black and grey tunics, for instance.
    The variations in the RZM tags arise, not the least, from the RZM frequently ordered changes to these things in a way I still do not entirely understand.
    The Shea Beaverand the Saris books have several examples of original caps. I had one with the RFSSS tag, the Tuchmuetze f. SS (non runic) and a VA 37 stamp that I believe is now owned by Bob Hritz. I sold it in 1980.

I do not routinely post fakes in a preemptive fashion, as do most others with their own agenda.
    My assertion is simple: more authentic material on display builds the capacity of the collector with a lead via the positive versus the hysteria of the negative.
    Moreover, I am inherently skeptical of many who pose as the nemesis of all fakes, especially via a check list.
    I hate all check lists.
    None the above pertains to Ben VK, but to to many others known to him and me.

Postscriptum: the image with the many Schiffchen is an old image from the Hritz collection from the German Daggers site.
    I enclose also an image borrowed from Whamond, as well, who I am sure will understand.
    The latter is of the type that causes some to be skeptical, but this is an original piece.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen
    P
    Many

This thread is a prime example of why this Forum is the finest of it's kind

- - Updated - -

We need to keep this thread at the top due to it's valuable information for all.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thank you gentlemen for your interest and support by pinning this thread.

The reason I decided to start it was because this example (pics below) recently appeared in my section, the cap authentication forum and this comment below got me to thinking.

Quote by silvercreek45 View Post
    The hat is quite textbook in all aspects , yours is a cookie cutter example for 1938 , the eagle is thick because they are made with a extra piece of cloth backing ,again its what you want to see. you did well for yourself.
    Whilst I do not wish to argue with the statement regarding "textbook" and "cookie cutter", I do worry though that these terms have been over used in conjunction with these black field caps. Before posting the thread, I spent a few hours searching forums for other black examples and these exact terms crop up time and time again. Personally, I thought it was time to re-asses these caps because having never owned one, "textbook" is just not a description or evaluation that I would be satisfied with.

I'm glad I did have a closer look because as we can see now, at least one of these Feldmuetze tags is highly suspicious and IMO, both tags with only the one white ring around the white runes are likely to be bogus.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen   Something odd about all these SS Feldmuetzen  

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Many little used or unissued black field caps existed in Dachau or somewhere, and were more or less plentiful in my early years. I think Bob Coleman and Bob Hritz can vouch for this statement
    Thank you dear friend because this is the second reason why I started the thread. The only explaination I could think of for so many caps of the exact same style and condition being in circulation, were if a large batch of them had been found somewhere like Dachau. However, I had not read about this possibly being the case until now. Some clarification would be very valuable and useful in regards to this thread.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenWhen I started collecting in the 1960s, there were many examples of unissued items in their number, as in army Tellermuetzen, DAK uniforms, Luftwaffe Fliegerblusen for the enlisted ranks, DAK pith helmets, and etc. Included were these black SS field caps, but others here have more experience of them than do I.
    I do have an image of one of my original ones, which was a very nice piece. What I own now is nice, too, but the tag is washed out, but still recognizable.

Postscriptum: the image is from the year 1981.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenThe tag in my ex cap above is identical to this one.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenTime and its refuse.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 10-03-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenHere is an auction catalog from 1978 with such a field cap included.

Something odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenSomething odd about all these SS FeldmuetzenItem 1237 illustrated in the year 1978, 1981, and 2012.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Item 1237 illustrated in the year 1978, 1981, and 2012.
    Dear friend,

Thank you for a glimpse of continuity and pedigree in a world filled with checklists, textbook appearance, and gun show lore.

CMH

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast