Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

SS 8-Year Service Medal - Second Opinions Needed for a Fellow Collector

Article about: Upon hearing that I was looking for an SS 8-year service medal, a fellow collector offered me this piece. He explained that it had been authenticated by another individual. I took a look at

Default SS 8-Year Service Medal - Second Opinions Needed for a Fellow Collector

Upon hearing that I was looking for an SS 8-year service medal, a fellow collector offered me this piece. He explained that it had been authenticated by another individual. I took a look at the medal, and told him that it is a reproduction/fake, in my opinion. It appears to be an attempt at a type 2 (formerly known as the "P&L" type) medal, but it doesn't meet any of my criteria for an original piece. I don't have a photo of the front of the medal, but the backside shows more than enough to confirm this as a reproduction in my book. The quality of the lettering is subpar (with uneven edges), the "E" in "DIENSTE" is not lower than the other letters, it has a round/non-beveled eyelet, and it has an odd suspension ring. I am posting the medal here for documentation purposes. Understandably, the collector who offered this item to me would like some second opinions. Apparently, this piece was described by the authenticator as a "Spangenstück," which I believe is a term used for a replacement medal designed for mounting on a medal bar... Anyway, I'd appreciate it if some of the members here could offer their opinions to help out our fellow collector. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 8-Year Service Medal - Second Opinions Needed for a Fellow Collector
    P
    Many

Hi Dave,

You've covered most if not all the faults here, it's really a one look fake to anyone who has made a pretty perfunctory study of these and I have nothing to add other than my sincere condolences to the current owner......

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks, Ned! Here's a shot of the front that the collector just sent me. We can see that this is the reproduction with the pronounced thorns in the wreath. At the top of the wreath, the thorns are almost touching, while they are shorter on original medals. The overall quality of this reproduction is much lower than that of authentic pieces, as well.

How positively ghastly.....
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That heavily thorned wreath is really the... SS 8-Year Service Medal - Second Opinions Needed for a Fellow Collector