Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS 8 -Year Service Medals

Article about: I have always thought that these medals were interesting, so I thought I'd try to look at as many examples of authentic pieces and reproductions as possible so that I can become proficient a

I'd like to discuss the following medal, which I believe to be one of the more convincing reproductions:

I have seen this style of type 2 medal being sold by various dealers (including well-respected ones), but there are a number of reasons why I believe it to be fake. The pebbling and details on this medal are rather crisp compared to the majority of reproductions I have seen, and the eyelet has a convincing bevel, which is why I believe it slips by a fair amount of collectors. However, the face of the medal displays a very pronounced upward "curve" toward the outer edge (note how it catches the light in the pictures), which you don't see on authentic pieces. Another thing I look for on these medals is the last "E" in "DIENSTE." On authentic type 2 medals, this "E" is set a little lower than the rest of the letters. Here, it seems to be in line with the other letters in the word. Finally, the wreath lacks the proper detail. The leaves are too uniform, and there are no thorns in the wreath, while authentic pieces have thorns among the leaves. We can't see the whole suspension ring, so I can't tell if the visible portion is the "narrow" end or the "wide" end... If it is the "narrow" end, then the suspension ring is wrong, but of course the ring could just be upside down in the photos. I have also noticed that almost every one of these "curved" medals has a crooked eyelet.

I'd love to hear some opinions from you guys. Please let me know if you disagree with my assessment! Despite the inconsistencies, I do feel like this is one of the more convincing fakes (compared to the other rather obvious reproductions). I wanted to put this information out there to help the rest of the collecting community.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS 8 -Year Service Medals
    P
    Many

Hi Dave,

You are correct in pointing out the medal above is a fake of the type II pattern 8 year medal. Without wishing to go over the points that you have already made that are all absolutely pertinent to why this medal is bad I'll just post an example of what an original looks like and allow everyone to compare the differences you have deftly pointed out.

Regards, Ned.

SS 8 -Year Service MedalsSS 8 -Year Service Medals
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks, Ned. That's a beautiful medal! I hope to add one to my collection soon. The medal in question was being offered by a well-respected dealer, and he was quite willing to remove the item from his site after we discussed it. This is why I love collecting -- the sharing of knowledge and scrutiny of these pieces helps us grow as collectors and enhances our enjoyment of the hobby!

Quote by daveward View Post
    Thanks, Ned. That's a beautiful medal! I hope to add one to my collection soon. The medal in question was being offered by a well-respected dealer, and he was quite willing to remove the item from his site after we discussed it. This is why I love collecting -- the sharing of knowledge and scrutiny of these pieces helps us grow as collectors and enhances our enjoyment of the hobby!
    Hi Dave,

The medal is not mine, I don't collect out and out SS items through choice, but I do have an interest in the long service medals enough to study them closely as I can due to the propensity of fakes that abound and my interest in those differences. As you say, it'a all a part of the enjoyment of the hobby. The dealer concerned is a good honest guy, I have used him several times and it just goes to show that anyone can be caught out in an unguarded moment, or relying on other members of staff to authenticate some items. I'm sure he appreciates this problem being pointed out to him.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

He's a very nice guy, and I've seen many fine authentic pieces on his site. I'm always a little apprehensive about pointing out fakes to a dealer for fear of seeming rude, but he was very gracious about the matter. I admire his integrity, and hope to do business with him in the future!

Quote by daveward View Post
    He's a very nice guy, and I've seen many fine authentic pieces on his site. I'm always a little apprehensive about pointing out fakes to a dealer for fear of seeming rude, but he was very gracious about the matter. I admire his integrity, and hope to do business with him in the future!
    I have refrained from informing dealers of fakes they have since a certain well known one had a major Eppy Skoppy with me over a junk PAB 25 he had up for sale. After that I decided it wasn't worth the hassle so now leave it to others who feel the need to try and help out, just don't be surprised if sometimes it falls somewhat flat..... So I don't mind spotting 'em, but I ain't telling 'em either!

Regards, Ned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2