Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

SS-Allg tunic buttons markings

Article about: by Glenn66 I never cease to be amazed by the amount of stamps the SS could cram into even the smallest item of kit. Wonderful images gentlemen! My thanks. Well said. Had they marked these th

Default Re: SS-Allg tunic buttons markings

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I never cease to be amazed by the amount of stamps the SS could cram into even the smallest item of kit.

Wonderful images gentlemen! My thanks.
    Well said. Had they marked these things less, think of how empty our lives would be.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Allg tunic buttons markings
    P
    Many

?

This particular button is the same that are found on a privately tailored tunic that I purchased a couple of years ago:

CMH

?

The following are the earlier buttons found on a privately tailored officer's Mantel:

?

And more on the vented skirt, if that is the correct terminology....

Thank you for the nice images of the nickled buttons. The pebbling of the overcoat buttons, however, diverges from that on the card board set of buttons.

This pebbling tends to be found on SA and SS uniforms. SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markings

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Thank you for the nice images of the nickled buttons. The pebbling of the overcoat buttons, however, diverges from that on the card board set of buttons.

This pebbling tends to be found on SA and SS uniforms. SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markings
    Thank you for your nice images. Yes, the set of buttons with the cardboard backing is what I would expect to see in a later item. This variant seems to be virtually ubiquitous in army tunics if I am not mistaken. In regards to bespoke SS tunics, I guess they just used whatever was at hand.

CMH

SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markingsThe reprints of the Assmann catalog illustrate the varieties of button finishes, especially those of the SA and SS ca. 1935/6. As well as military buttons, of course.
    I grew up with this source forty years ago.

SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsAlso of merit is Clyde Davis's work also of the 1970s, and a bridge too far for most. The RZM circulars for 1934 and 1935 exist now, but I do not extract things from them about metallic items, though there is rich data there, too. SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markingsSS-Allg tunic buttons markings
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 01-20-2013 at 11:52 PM.

SS-Allg tunic buttons markingsThe January 1935 SS price list appended to the RZM circular included these buttons of note.

?

The buttons on this Stammabteilung Tunic are of the later type with markings on the reverse similar to those Dimas has shown us earlier in this thread.

The tunic is privately tailored but the buttons are heavily marked such as those found on the issued tunics.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast