Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

ss armband

Article about: hi can anyone help me with this ss armband

The very first post I made on this forum was of this monster:

Anyone know what this SS armband is?

My, have I learned so much from my stay here. I'm so very grateful to you guys for taking me under your wing.

A little research would probably reveal this one is bad. But, we all started from a position of ignorance no?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement ss armband
    P
    Many

Quote by avenger View Post
    The very first post I made on this forum was of this monster:

Anyone know what this SS armband is?

My, have I learned so much from my stay here. I'm so very grateful to you guys for taking me under your wing.

A little research would probably reveal this one is bad. But, we all started from a position of ignorance no?
    Take my advice: don't wear your heart on your sleeve, if you want to collect SS regalia.

It is rough and tumble, and those of us who have been at it since Dr. Breuer's time have hardened in our hearts to the barrage of malarkey.

Bob Coleman pointed out to me that the original poster here has a record of junky posts.

We welcome and celebrate the person who has sincere interest and a willingness to learn. Of late, though, it has all been very tough going.

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Of late, though, it has all been very tough going.
    That's unfortunate. My time here has been rather divided lately as my new job prevents me from having much time during the day to keep tabs on the comings and goings here as I once had. I wish these items never had near the value the markets place on them so people would desire them without the distraction of cost and forgeries. Hopefully there will be an awakening of sincerity among collectors soon if things really are waning. After all, possessing the item is only the beginning of the story each one tells.

ss armbandss armbandss armbandss armbandss armband
    Quote by avenger View Post
    That's unfortunate. My time here has been rather divided lately as my new job prevents me from having much time during the day to keep tabs on the comings and goings here as I once had. I wish these items never had near the value the markets place on them so people would desire them without the distraction of cost and forgeries. Hopefully there will be an awakening of sincerity among collectors soon if things really are waning. After all, possessing the item is only the beginning of the story each one tells.

Your mouth to God's ear. You do well to devote yourself to something that pays you a wage, versus this pursuit. In any case, SS regalia is likely cursed and rightly so.
    I mean, look at Himmler's wretched puss, and nothing good comes of it. Nothing.

This posts replies are totally misleading. This is not a fantasy piece. It existed. I'm not saying this example is original but the design did exist. It is a camp doctors armband. The one with a white circle is camp doctors assistant. These are extremely rare. There is a well documented example in a polish museum. It even has an RZM label. It states who the doctor and wearer was and which camp he worked and wore it in. It was a camp in Poland. A repro of this design has been made. You can get it aged but it's not exact to the originals. You can tell the difference. Not a fantasy piece by any means.

Quote by Jack Doe View Post
    This posts replies are totally misleading. This is not a fantasy piece. It existed. I'm not saying this example is original but the design did exist. It is a camp doctors armband. The one with a white circle is camp doctors assistant. These are extremely rare. There is a well documented example in a polish museum. It even has an RZM label. It states who the doctor and wearer was and which camp he worked and wore it in. It was a camp in Poland. A repro of this design has been made. You can get it aged but it's not exact to the originals. You can tell the difference. Not a fantasy piece by any means.
    Hello welcome to the forum. I have no dog in this fight. But a few counter points to your defense of said items existence. Why would an SS doctor need to wear a specific armband to prove his purpose/identity? This seems very unusual to me, would a German SS doctor be somehow confused with an inmate or a guard or other personnel? Seems unlikely. There are lab coats with embroidered sig runes seen in wear, in period photographs, which would be conclusive evidence of an items existence. Relying on one example in a Polish museum with an RZM mark proves nothing, in fact it probably only makes the case for it being period made more unlikely. Seeing an item in a museums does not prove authenticity. Without direct provenance, pictures or significant evidence of an item being worn in period is what is required to legitimize a piece IMO. Kindest regards.

Brian

Indeed Brian. Third Reich period photos of said item would carry far more weight than merely an exhibit in a museum. Most museum curators have only superficial knowledge of militaria and if an item is donated will be guided by that the donor describes it to be.

In the case of my item (if you are referring to it), it was purchased with another fake from the same seller. They are both quite clearly fakes at best, or fantasy. When I bought it, I had no clue about Third Reich items, and was jumping on the Saving Private Ryan ebay rush many others were back in that day. Through this site I gained a much needed education and I now wouldn't fall for that ruse. That said, when researching my armband, I do recall finding examples of concentration camp related armbands that did make use of the colored triangles to identify the reason the people were put there. You can see examples of this here:

Nazi concentration camp badge - Wikipedia

The use of a similar identifier with SS runes worn by any German serving would be extremely odd and confusing IMO. I believe my armband is simply based on these concentration camp identifications, with the SS embellishment to fool collectors with more money than experience such as my younger self at that time.

In reply I would like to state. Did Nazi armbands come in many types for many jobs ie. Railway workers etc. yes! would an armband be likely to show a doctor on a camp with thousands compared to say a doctors assistant. Yes! Did camps have different badges/patches for different people. Yes. Would a museum curator know more about his researched item than people like us on the Internet. Yes. Does proof of who owned and wore the said armband and where they wore it on which camp and its location prove the true existsance of a period item. Very Likely.
    If I showed you a period photo of a camp doctor wearing the said armband would this be proof enough for you? IMO (and I'm not an expert by any means ) the said armband is not only extremely rare but also representative of a real original item. But I don't mean it's an original item, just representing as one at minimum. Why make a repro of a fantasy item? What proof do you have that the said item is fantasy. Are you claiming no period evidence of this item exists even though there is a researched and documented example with RZM label on display in a museum.

Also, I am slightly biased on this as I own an original of this armband and can assure you that it is different to the repro's that have been selling for years.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast