MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please

Article about: Yes...Thank You Dr.CMH....for your photo essay. As the saying goes..." a picture is worth a thousand words". Best Regards, Ed

I recall seeing a 38/38 tag on a tunic, and I thought it was mine. I have more than one black tunic. With more than fourteen THOUSAND posts, it all becomes a blur.

The simple answer here is buy a brassard from the usual, trusted sources.

Happy collecting and smelling.

So often the issues that eventuate here could be solved if two of us were in the room, and we can rapidly render an assessment.

The digital thing can often devolve into the rolling of rocks up hills only to have them bounce on one's head.

Bob's point as to the manner in which our posts have improved fakes is a very germane one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions Please
    P
    Many

The article in the Bender magazine circa 1995 posits that the black cloth tags on insignia were phased out in 1938.

However, there is evidence that this is not wholly true for all insignia.

Such contradictions are normal and common, part of the poetry of our world.

?

The following is a Brassard I purchased from an auction through Empire when they were in existence. This was early in my collecting and I have since learned as to why this is a fake. It is well made, though, the item that started this thread appears a better attempt in my opinion.

A closer view of the roundel and border ribbon.

For comparison against an original in situ. If my camera skills and lighting technique were better, I could show the difference in hue between the two.

More originals to further form a basis for comparison, in varying states of degradation (foetidness).

It would seem the fresh smelling thread starter is unlikely to be of TR origin, a shame.

ETF
    ?

Glenn..thank you for this very useful information and for posting the photos.
    Best Regards,
    Ed

Quote by ETF View Post
    Glenn..thank you for this very useful information and for posting the photos.
    Best Regards,
    Ed
    Thanks for your thanks.

SS Armband with RZM Tag - Would like Opinions PleaseThis image in particular of Dr. CMH's photo essay reveals important differences that are key in this matter. I will let you figure them out. That is, the item on the left.
    The "scull" savant tried to stick me with one of these a while back, and reacted very poorly when I instructed him otherwise and demanded my money back.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-03-2014 at 03:13 AM.

There have existed well made copies of SS brassards since at least the 1960s. These were made by a man whose name began with "N." He also made SA and SS kepis, the latter especially
    had RZM tags of cloth, but of the pattern used for insignia after 1938. He tried to trap me with such a kepi, and also an odd Allgemeine SS Sturmband, which, in retrospect, looked nothing like an original.
    Such larceny frolicked here more than four decades ago.

The more recent well made fakes get the orange red color of the Armbindentuch better, but other details do not reach the level of the original.

The give away here is the swastika itself versus how an original is made. If you compare the two, as is done in the image above, you can see the distinction.

I should somehow photograph my black cloth tags with the "38" but these would likely then be the base of new fakes.

All too droll.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-03-2014 at 03:15 AM.

ETF
    ?

F-D....Thank you again. I do see the difference between the swasticas. Thanks for the photo comparison...most helpful. I'm also examining mine as I study the photos. This thread had been very helpful in showing how to detect a reproduction.
    Best Regards,
    Ed

Thanks. In reality, Dr.CMH deserves our thanks with his photo essay, but the latter made clear to me my own experience of this variant, and it is an unpleasant one.
    Happy collecting.
    Last edited by Friedrich-Berthold; 05-03-2014 at 03:13 AM.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast