Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?

Article about: These images appeared elsewhere. I think they are of an Austrian or Sudeten SS unit, but such is a wild guess.

?

Default Re: SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?

Fine images indeed FB. The location is Iglau, on the Mähren/Böhmen border (Jihlava, Morava in Czech). The German name derives from the word Igel, meaning hedgehog, which is present on the coat of arms. Jihlava is the oldest mining town in the Czech Republic. Below is a modern image of the main náměstí (square).

Grüsse,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?
    P
    Many

Thanks, friends. The images are of a large taking of the oath of the Allgemeine SS for newly raised units in the Sudetenland and Bohemia Moravia held in August 1939...... the St. Ignatius Church in Iglau was used as a kind of stage. Other images of this event are in the Czech book I enclosed.

Quote by TIGER88 View Post
    Fine images indeed FB. The location is Iglau, on the Mähren/Böhmen border (Jihlava, Morava in Czech). The German name derives from the word Igel, meaning hedgehog, which is present on the coat of arms. Jihlava is the oldest mining town in the Czech Republic. Below is a modern image of the main náměstí (square).

Grüsse,

Carl
    Bravo.

?

Thank you kindly.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Interesting photos, do you know of any texts in english related to this subject, that are worthwhile? Im currently reading a more broad text about the economy and politics of the TR called modern Germany (1900 onward) . I would like to read more about these areas in specific.
    Thanks
    I will look for you. What I read is all in German, in fact. Thanks.

- - Updated - -

Quote by jHAM View Post
    Thank you F-B for this thread and also for always keeping the level of exchange on this site higher than silly comments about giant flags.
    I am most grateful for your presence here.
    Attachment 451905
    Thanks, dear colleague, your interest spurs me to find interesting things, which appear elsewhere to a loud thud, whereas here we have the music of the spheres.

SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren?Since my posting this, the grandees on the other site have only fixated on the pretty flags, and the character, locale and date of this event have all eluded them.

Grüsse,

Carl
    thanks.

European architecture has had the luxury of remaining mostly intact over the past century and a half, making photos like these fun to compare to more recent ones. In America, we tear down and rebuild in a constant effort to improve. I'm annoyed with my 'newer is always better' culture.

The locations shown in photos of our Civil War are rarely close to anything they are today.

?

Most welcome FB, and thank you in turn for the excellent period images.

Mo, I agree with you. Sadly, the faster, sleeker artificial way of life nowadays also encompasses beloved architecture. I am indeed most fortunate to spend a lot of time in one of the more untouched locales of the continent, namely Prague. One of my few pet hates about Prague is the well known Taneční Dům (Dancing House). A fine example of modern architecture no doubt, but terribly out of place on the otherwise beautiful Vltava waterfront.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images SS Aufmarsch, Ostmark, Sudetenland, Boehmen Maehren? 

Most welcome FB, and thank you in turn for the excellent period images.

Mo, I agree with you. Sadly, the faster, sleeker artificial way of life nowadays also encompasses beloved architecture. I am indeed most fortunate to spend a lot of time in one of the more untouched locales of the continent, namely Prague. One of my few pet hates about Prague is the well known Taneční Dům (Dancing House). A fine example of modern architecture no doubt, but terribly out of place on the otherwise beautiful Vltava waterfront.

Regards,

Carl
    Bravo. I have seen this newish building in Prague, and it is typical of modernization, which is seen elsewhere in the city. The Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna is a bit of a shock, and does not fit in the III. Bezirk there, but it has its followers.

I have not been in Praha for a decade, which is a great loss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast