Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The SS Bandolier

Article about: Having never quite understood why the SS felt it necessary to employ two patterns of bandolier, I was wondering if anyone could add photos or documents that might clarify the matter. Mollo,

Default Re: The SS Bandolier

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Another interesting facet of this little investigation is that the SS-TV is consistently included in period documents with the Allgemeine-SS. Here, in this shot of the standard of Thueringen, it is apparent they used the Allgemeine-SS style bandolier as opposed to the SS-VT style.
    d'alquen

Was not the SSTV set free of the Allgemeine SS at a later date than the SSVT? I had thought the former was ca. 1936 and the latter ca. 1934? Robert Koehl is the book to read on this score.
    Thank you for all the very fine pictures. They are remarkable.
    It is a real pity that you do not go to Schiffer and get a contract for a real publication that will enshrine your very considerable learning, or I will arrange something with the publishers I know in Germany.

It is also interesting that D'Alquen's contemporary account of the evolution of the SS is included on his family website. I have seen said document quoted a zillion times, but never have had the chance to read the whole thing.

Thanks again for this and your fine contribution.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The SS Bandolier
    P
    Many

Default Re: The SS Bandolier

As a comparison, I found some images of infantry and mounted artillery bandoliers in the deutsches Heer. Nice, clear and colorful images they are thanks to Mr. Hugo Jaeger.

I do not think I can see a difference in width and structure or am I missing something like with the 'sculls'....? A further point of reference are the bandoliers in use by the sailors from the Kriegsmarine, which also appear to be the same width....

I can also tell you that Fahnen Fleck of Hamburg was a leading maker of these nice unit flags, to be sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The SS Bandolier   The SS Bandolier  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2