Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?

Article about: Hi all, Been stung by headgear fakes twice already. Accordingly I Thought I would run this find past you. I examined it as much as I could without going cross-eyed, but ultimately I lack the

Default SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?

Hi all,

Been stung by headgear fakes twice already. Accordingly I Thought I would run this find past you. I examined it as much as I could without going cross-eyed, but ultimately I lack the experience to make a confident decision.

From my rookie research good points are: Nice tight stitching on zinc zelt 'dish' buttons.
    Bad points: Use of Zinc zelt buttons?
    Good points: Looks to be a nice tight poplin weave.
    Bad points: Holes in smock look to have been made with a craft knife.
    Bad points: No mothing or (forgive my amateur teminology) 'thinning' out of the material over time.
    Good points: Appearance of 'field repairs' and main body appears to have been made from a uniform section.
    Bad points: Light coloured lace
    Good points: Double row of seam stitching including side seams.

As always gents - your input is very gratefully received!

Sykes27f

SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?
    P
    Many

Glad you have run this past us first.

It is bad. Poor button holes etc and no selvedge edge to the cuffs.

As you suspected, the cuts look very contrived.

Original smocks run into the tens of thousands of $. Fakes have been around over 35 years now.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well, that's my WRF membership sorted then (and a damn sight cheaper than the asking price for this junk!) You fellas have saved me a packet over the last month. Glad to be a part of the forum. In time I hope I can make as useful and as $-saving a contribution to other peoples enquiries as you gentlemen have mine.

Warmest regards,

Sykes27f

Even though I do not own a smock myself , I am going to jump in , perhaps just following the same logic ;

IF original , do you realize that a blurred edge smock costs around $ 10.000,- ?

Now I have that off my chest , the following concerns :

The socalled field repairs are IMHO completely over the top , and also lack any form of wear / aging ( even when the smock itself is pretty greased up ) ?! see picture below .
    I have never , ever seen this kind of holes in a jacket , that were not caused by a spray of battery acid ?!
    The drawstring & button holes also are all amateur level made at best - I would fear for my life to hand in such a product when working in a KZ ?!
    It is however a very good example of how much time fakers will put into such an item to artificially age it .
    Best forget about this one , I myself have already given up on finding one ..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Blurred-edge reversible smock? Or trash?  

glad you saved your money.