Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

the ss cape

Article about: Any period photo of it in use? The one without chain and eagle but with collar tabs is a fantasy peice/idea or? regards

tyskmilitaria
    ?

Default the ss cape

Any period photo of it in use?

The one without chain and eagle but with collar tabs is a fantasy peice/idea or?

regards

2. # ADS

Default Re: the ss cape

Colleague d' Alquen has images, I think.

?

The one without chain and eagle but with collar tabs is a fantasy peice/idea or?

I doubt that a fantasy piece would be depicted in the Organisationsbuch of the NSDAP.

Quote by Walter View Post

I doubt that a fantasy piece would be depicted in the Organisationsbuch of the NSDAP.
    I also doubt that "fantasy pieces" were depicted in the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP year in and year out.

I cannot find the images I have, but I am sure my colleagues have a better filing system. Such capes were standard wear in the old armies and the police. They also were worn in the east German forces.

?

Hermann Historica has one for sale in their upcoming aucion, with eagle and chain and piped collar....E17,500!

Here, as requested, an image of the SS cloak showing the clasps and collar piping. The picture is from August, 1938 and shows Admiral Horthy's visit to Carinhall.
    Incidentally, the cloak was at first a fairly generic piece of clothing allowed to be worn by all ranks of the SS. This is the one illustrated in the organisation book.
    There was also a rubberized rain cloak and a field grey cloth version.
    D'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture the ss cape  

tyskmilitaria
    ?

well i dont have the org. books, i have the english translation and it does not show the one with collar tabs. i saw it on a Japanese repro site.

Quote by tyskmilitaria View Post
    well i dont have the org. books, i have the english translation and it does not show the one with collar tabs. i saw it on a jap repro site.
    Advanced book exchange dot com is a good source for the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP for all eager seekers of same.

I also downloaded one of the 1938 editions from the internet as a PDF, but I own ten or so copies of the thing in the original. Also the early 1970s reprint of the 1943 edition, which is now a collector's item itself. Anyone who is serious about SS regalia should invest in a library. The cape is illustrated on p. 525 of the 1938 edition of same....

I think I may have misread the request. The cape, (Umhang), without chains is shown here in an image that Robert Noss posted some time ago. I'm sure he won't mind me adding it to this thread.
    Eicke was fond of wearing the cloak and can be seen sporting it as early as December of 1933 during the Christmas release of prisoners from Dachau.
    This picture shows the standard service cape as opposed to the cloak intended for evening dress.
    The cape, with case, cost 24.90 RM which was at the time less than the price of a pair of SS breeches.
    It was intended to be worn off-duty only.
    Of interest to headgear collectors is the use of a black field cap with the addition of silver piping for leaders.
    D'Alquen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast