Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ?

Article about: Fake or not fake That is the question. Please help.

Default Re: SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ?

as final offering on the theme of collar patches. Notice the cut of the collar, which is not gotten right on the high end fakes of SS uniforms nowadays. This piece is made of an especially nice grade of Trikot, but is without any labels save a small tailoring one. It has a very well made Dolchschlitz.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ?
    P
    Many

PHILBROWN
    ?

im in awe of your collection of black uniforms, may i ask you what your rarest item may be and possibly show it here . and how many have you got? it seems every district it beggers the question,,,, WHY ARNT YOU A MOD?

Dear Friend, thanks for the kind comments. Bob Coleman and Bob Hritz are the bosses here, which is all to the good. I have more than one black uniform, in fact; and, truth be told, most of them are virginal as regards photo images. That must sound coquettish, but my electric camera is busted and I have litte gusto in the thing.

I am glad the images amuse you.

These Allgemeine SS uniforms are rare in their own right, and honest in the extreme versus the extraordinary fish tales that generally obtain to grey uniforms in these spaces. Hence, even if this sort of piece does not excite the normal lust and cries of anguish as found on other sites, I warrant you that such items have their own poetry, all the same.

I imagine that the men who wore these went into the Wehrmacht or Waffen SS in any case once the war began, that is why the things survived somehow.

But far be it from me to judge popular tastes and the interests of others.

to each his own.

Thank you for your kind interest.

Colleagues Hritz and Coleman also own some very handsome piece, in fact, which they have generously shown to us here and elsewhere.

The Koeln and Saarbruecken things are mine, but some of the other pieces in this thread are not, surely. We thank the others for their generosity in sharing here.

I also kindly admonish all to observe the present recriminations and hatred pouring forth on the lord of the flies website and express the solemn wish that we can avoid same here if at all possible.

The downward spiral of the websites will do incalculable damage to our foetid woolens if we do not police ourselves as concerns the pointing of fingers and the smashing of icons.

I am quite sure that the moderators will associate themselves with my observation here.

Foetid woolens arise!

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post

Foetid woolens arise!
    I must admit that as a novice I don't understand most of the nuances you speak of. However I make a point of reading your threads in order to glean as much as possible. Your eloquent posts and superb images keep me coming back for more. Thank you, Al.

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I must admit that as a novice I don't understand most of the nuances you speak of. However I make a point of reading your threads in order to glean as much as possible. Your eloquent posts and superb images keep me coming back for more. Thank you, Al.
    Dear Aldo, we collect very old wool clothes, which are usually not especially clean by consumer standards of the present, ergo foetid. In fact, the odor of 75 year old German wool is very distinct, and a criterion in my own mind of authenticity, granted the difficulties of cleaning these things without destroying them.

I used the term "foetid" with others and they found some humor in it. I do think one has to keep a sense of humor about this stuff, since the others become very nasty as well as even more boring in the face of the intricacies of fakes and frauds and the few authentic pieces. Life is too short for boredom and we do not want to keep the company of nasty people, of course. Ergo, foetid woolens. When I lived in Germany with a family in which daddy had actually been in the SS, their reaction to my interest was more or less "why is this crazy person interested in these dirty old clothes," which for them merely reminded them of the ups and downs....and mostly downs of the 20th century. I have know many people in my more than 40 year life in Germany who wore such clothes (fewer SS people....) and they were quite different from how some US collectors today see the German past. I rather think that those whom I knew regarded these things as old junk; hence, I foster a sense of some detachment from what otherwise has been a central preoccupation of mine since about the year 1960 or so. If there is something in which I write that requires explanation, please kindly write as much. I will do my best to answer you. But I apologize for the unnecessary irony, for it derives from my own experience of people I have known in Germany. There are many who take huge offense at what I have written elsewhere, and pilloried me for it, so your kind words are welcome indeed. But we are not in the business of popularity contests or votes in song contests.

My goal is to share knowledge and to enable others to learn, and to learn, in turn from others---a quaint and obsolete concept.

Thanks and please let me know if I can be of help.

PHILBROWN
    ?

i meant no disrespect to either bob on my comment about you being a moderator, although it does beggar beleif why your not

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    i meant no disrespect to either bob on my comment about you being a moderator, although it does beggar beleif why your not

The two Bobs are my friends and we collaborate to good effect. I have no wish to be a moderator what so ever. The two Bos have helped me with my collection, and, perhaps I with theirs, in turn.

I make my contribution as I see fit, and IF it has merit, then I am very happy. But I have enough to do in the rest of my life that being a moderator here holds no allure for me at all. Mr. Hritz and Mr. Coleman are retired, whereas my professional obligations have never been more intense, all encompassing, and overwhelming. I shall show you my frequent flier account. And, unlike the hat wizards and stitch alchemists on the other meany and nasty website, I am not in banking or private detective-ing. Let the present moderators stay and we follow them happily.

Thanks for the kind words and in any case, we aspire to have a pleasant and informed community, all the same.

I do this to relax my mind from the rigors of my real duties and also because I take pleasure is sharing knowledge. I get enough recognition elsewhere not to crave it here.

Happy collecting.

Mr. Coleman and Hritz have a far wider knowledge of SS material than do I, in fact. My knowledge is very limited to a few things, which interest me, and hence, I am not equipped for the role so mentioned. The field is so complicated and really out of control now that few can aspire to have the necessary mastery of the thing in its dizzying detail.

Pi pa po. as pertains to foetid woolens, this is how it starts.....a snow shower in May in Berlin Tempelhof.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ? 

PHILBROWN
    ?

and i bet you have each of their uniforms in your collection,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the snow in the freezer

Quote by PHILBROWN View Post
    and i bet you have each of their uniforms in your collection,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and the snow in the freezer
    I wish, but I do not, sadly. I was not there in 1935 and, had I been, they would have beaten the sh!t out of me, actually.

But we can admire the smile on this family and the Winterhilfswerk in 1937 or 1938.
    Attached Images Attached Images SS collar tabs nr.3 good or bad ? 

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast