MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SS Collar Tabs - Real or Fake?

Article about: Hi all, A few months back I purchased a pair of SS collar tabs from my local military surplus store. After posting them for review on this forum, they were called out as fake. The stitching

CBH
    ?

Your very welcome, and I appreciate your comments, it can be hard to get discouraging news about an item.
    We take no joy in bad news, we simply try to inform the collector.
    SS items are the most faked of all WWII items, with many old and new fakes flood the market.
    It is a literal mine field of collecting, and something not for the faint of heart.
    Best of luck in your future collecting.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Collar Tabs - Real or Fake?
    P
    Many

DMS
    ?

Quote by Colttin View Post
    Hi Brian. Do you know anywhere I could get these properly authenticated by someone "qualified" to make that judgment? It's not that I don't believe what you say, it's just the owner will even refuse to hear what I have to say about them unless someone "qualified" tells him they're fake. I can't get my money back or an in-store credit until someone properly looks at them. Is there any way you could point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Hello sir!

If you have a reputable dealer that has an actual business write up that they are fake and that you should get a refund that should be what you need. Back when I first started collecting I purchased a few SS Visors at an online auction. When I received them I was 99% sure that they were not original for multiple reasons.

At the time I did not know many people in this wonderful hobby but I ended up finally choosing Bill Shea with The Ruptured Duck. He is use to writing these things up and I have to tell you that it worked like a charm for me. Part of the reason was probably that I took the Visors up to the 2013 Max Show, had Bill look at them and do the write up and then walked down a few Isles to the person that ran the auction. I told him that the visors I Purchased were no good and that I had had them inspected and written up by an expert who came to the same conclusion. I politely asked him to give me a refund of approximately $11,000 and we would be all good and I would continue using his auction. I threw that part in to help my case. Or, we could have a scene in front of all the potential customers at the Max. He stroked me a check right away and that nightmare was over.

Hopefully presented with the written evidence as well as some printed copies of the experts on this forum with the pictures of the originals you were showed on the forum, Will be enough to get him to give you your refund. If not I would threaten him with court. At that point he would have to decide if it was worth it to have a lawyer send him a letter or not. Myself, I cannot stand getting taken advantage of.

Hopefully this helps!
    DMS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3