Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SS Dirlewanger Collar Tab

Article about: My latest collar tab is from the 36th SS Dirlewanger, a nefarious group to say the least, but one I wanted to add to the insignia collection. Typical unissued Dachau tab in pristine conditio

?

Default SS Dirlewanger Collar Tab

My latest collar tab is from the 36th SS Dirlewanger, a nefarious group to say the least, but one I wanted to add to the insignia collection. Typical unissued Dachau tab in pristine condition.

SS Dirlewanger Collar TabSS Dirlewanger Collar Tab

SS Dirlewanger Collar Tab

SS Dirlewanger Collar TabSS Dirlewanger Collar Tab

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Dirlewanger Collar Tab
    P
    Many

?

Yes they were a bunch of deviates.
    I read a lot on Him and his unit!!
    But not that Book. Is it a good read about them?

Awesome Addition on that one!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Seeing that collartab always makes me think of the mayhem they inflicted over in warsaw.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS Dirlewanger Collar Tab  

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Yes; I would recommend it.

You should also read The Cruel Hunters by French L. MacLean (maybe you already have). The two books nicely complement one another, as the authors take quite different approaches to the subject and focus on different aspects of the unit and its history.

Both works serve as complete unit histories, but Ingrao takes an in-depth look at the psychological and sociological aspects of the unit and its commander, whereas MacLean focuses more on the hard facts of its operational history.

A novel and interesting approach by Ingrao is his drawing of parallels between the world of hunting and the sort of operations the Dirlewanger troops were involved in and how their mindset - or at least that of the original cadre of poachers - may have been influenced by the hunt, although he occasionally overdoes it a bit (and is rather too fond of the word "cynegetic").

I also liked how he presented a clear narrative of how the unit changed over the years due to the intake of several waves of quite different kinds of recruits.

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post

Awesome Addition on that one!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil, I only started reading it the other day but it looks like a winner. HPL described it accurately in that it focuses on the psychological aspect of the unit. Al