Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A-SS EM Visor for Review

Article about: Hi - Just picked this up. Very low profile. Insignia are well tarnished; not fully evident in these pictures. Cap has not been worn to my eye. Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: A-SS EM Visor for Review

There is a respectful debate on this hat on the "other" forum. I am not ready to rule it out. We have heard from d"alquen, but F-B, wo bist du?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A-SS EM Visor for Review
    P
    Many

?

Some weird aspects have been pointed out but I still like it but I wouldn't buy it, can't even sell my textbook one!

?

I'm guessing F-B is off earning his keep; he apparently has another job beyond educating the rest of us, which would seem a full-time occupation itself.

?

Couple more pics.

The shield tag was not intended to push through, but the celluliod has flaked a bit, allowing thus. Here it is as intended:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A-SS EM Visor for Review  

?

And here the forehead cushion, which seems to be covered by a thin strip of gray material:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A-SS EM Visor for Review  

?

And, on review, I was clearly mistaken about the cap being unworn, although it is nearly so. There is a marked sweat ring to the left of the diamond:

Bruce B's hat is quite real. It is a Sonderanferitgung, as the tag so indicates. These later variant caps have linings in various hues, including grey.

If you read the other threads on this site, such will become obvious.

Happy confusion in militaria.

Other than the comments of our Canadian colleague who does not share much with us anymore, the observations on the other form about this cap are laughable in the extreme..."non regulation stitching of the celluloid rhombus..."

As a matter of record, I own a cap with an identical embossed runes on the cello diamond. The piece is earlier make, ca. 1935.

This cap of Bruce B's was among the latter of its type, made in ca, 1940 or 1941 and was likely a Kammerexemplar, as are many of these that retain the 'Sonderanfertigung" tag. Such makes this cap quite desirable.

I also own a 1938 made black officers cap from C Wagner with an identical lining as found in NSDAP caps.

Go figure.....

It also turns out that I own or have owned at least three of the caps in Shea's new book.

See this cap. It has pride of place in the Shea Beaver book, but I somehow sold it to another of our colleagues. Wie dumm von mir. I have much nicer ones, which I would have proffered for the cause.

I have been travelling for much of the summer so have had little or no time for the hobby, and thus little or nothing to share I'm afraid. As the cool evenings approach and we stay closer to home I shall try and remedy that.
    I must say I still don't care much for that cap but, opinions are like so much else, to each his own.
    By the way, how did Beaver's book finally turn out? I haven't seen a copy yet.
    D'Alquen

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast