Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A-SS EM Visor for Review

Article about: Hi - Just picked this up. Very low profile. Insignia are well tarnished; not fully evident in these pictures. Cap has not been worn to my eye. Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: A-SS EM Visor for Review

or this one....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A-SS EM Visor for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A-SS EM Visor for Review
    P
    Many

Quote by Frog View Post
    This discussion on variants of the typical SS EM visor most appreciated.

Compare the shield tag on this cap with that of Stone's visor (# 9 on this thread):

Please note: the material contained in this thread is to be found NEITHER on the other site, NOR in the two existing reference books that purport to be the final word in this material. NOR does this knowledge cost the consumer of same anything, save the time it takes to read this.

'frog, thanks for the 360 views. IMHO, the hat is a good one, and I concur with F-B. F-B, thanks again, as always, for your insight and analysis.

?

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Ben, are welcome to examine if you ever see my collection.
    I would welcome any opportunity to visit with you FB, I'm sure it would be most enjoyable!

Quote by Friedrich-Berthold View Post
    Also, if you read the Hempe cap making book, you will think twice about the statement as concerns re lining a cap.
    It was a statement based on experience of handling various Frankenstein caps where the faker has tried to hide the evidence deep inside the cap. In no way was I trying to inferr that caps with tall lining panels and forehead cushions are all dubious. It's just another thing to be aware of and to thoroughly inspect when handling these very expensive investments.

Quote by stonemint View Post
    'frog, thanks for the 360 views. IMHO, the hat is a good one, and I concur with F-B. F-B, thanks again, as always, for your insight and analysis.
    Thank you.

Quote by BenVK View Post
    I would welcome any opportunity to visit with you FB, I'm sure it would be most enjoyable!

It was a statement based on experience of handling various Frankenstein caps where the faker has tried to hide the evidence deep inside the cap. In no way was I trying to inferr that caps with tall lining panels and forehead cushions are all dubious. It's just another thing to be aware of and to thoroughly inspect when handling these very expensive investments.
    a.) the invitation stands.

b.) I understand your doubts and have seen the same as you as concerns a surfeit of textiles in fakes and remade thingies, but in this case, I do not think the situation obtains. To be sure, fakes use too much cloth as a rule, whereas original caps had to be made with a stingy principle of stretching as much final product from a bolt of cloth. Moreover, though, where would the fakers find this particular RZM tag from Mueller OF THIS DATE and where would they find the Sonderanfertigung tag? Moreover, the Hempe cap making book makes clear how complicated it is to make a cap in the correct manner, as concerns the union of cap cover, pipings, and lining, as well as gauze and watting.

I was again in the Fa. Adalbert Breiter in Munich last week, and it seems as if, other than head wear for fashionable Oberrbayerinnen, they do not make head wear anymore. I did discuss all of this with them, and the personnel assured me, that aside from one personage locally, those who would know the secrets we seek are either dead or close to it. Munich of today is very far removed from the Munich whence this cap was made.

I am also outspoken here because of my being totally fed up with the other site, and puffery or maskirovka that unfolds there to the detriment of the innocent.

Happy headwear.

"I do own now a cap with a similar embossed cello rhombus that is wholly real"
    FB might it be possible to post a photo of the diamond with similar design to Frog's that you have? I would be intrigued to see it and know who the maker was. My collecting of hats may have slowed but my accumulation and sorting of RZM details continues unabated.
    D'Alquen

?

Thanks to F-B and everyone who has ventured an opinion on this cap; it seems a fine thing to hold in hand, but this is just my view. Certainly it is not the typical thing found these days.

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    "I do own now a cap with a similar embossed cello rhombus that is wholly real"
    FB might it be possible to post a photo of the diamond with similar design to Frog's that you have? I would be intrigued to see it and know who the maker was. My collecting of hats may have slowed but my accumulation and sorting of RZM details continues unabated.
    D'Alquen

Thanks for yours. My camera is busted, but I shall secure another and photograph the thing. I think it is a Wagner or an Ernst cap ca. 1935 or so.

It is similar to this cap here. This piece was or is the property of Robert H and previously of Kevin F. In this example, the rhombus is gone entirely. In mine, it is 60% present. I apologize that these incomplete images are not enough to secure my assertions. I have bad luck with cameras. In this piece, to which Robert H can generalize, the gold runics were on the cello diamond, not on the cotton water proof lining.
    Attached Images Attached Images A-SS EM Visor for Review  A-SS EM Visor for Review  A-SS EM Visor for Review 

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast