Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

A-SS EM Visor for Review

Article about: Hi - Just picked this up. Very low profile. Insignia are well tarnished; not fully evident in these pictures. Cap has not been worn to my eye. Opinions appreciated. Thanks.

Default Re: A-SS EM Visor for Review

Thank you for posting the additional images, much appreciated. Actually the reason I was keen to see the hat you mentioned was not with regard to the runic symbol being on the lining or the diamond. My initial query was about the runic badge itself. In all my collecting and researching I can't say that I have never seen this particular design of the runic badge in the lining of an RZM cap. So, if there was another I was very interested to see it.
    Indeed, if anyone does have an example of a hat with this slightly thinner circle and angle topped runes I would be indebted to them for posting it.
    Thanks,
    Derek
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A-SS EM Visor for Review  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A-SS EM Visor for Review
    P
    Many

Quote by d'alquen View Post
    Thank you for posting the additional images, much appreciated. Actually the reason I was keen to see the hat you mentioned was not with regard to the runic symbol being on the lining or the diamond. My initial query was about the runic badge itself. In all my collecting and researching I can't say that I have never seen this particular design of the runic badge in the lining of an RZM cap. So, if there was another I was very interested to see it.
    Indeed, if anyone does have an example of a hat with this slightly thinner circle and angle topped runes I would be indebted to them for posting it.
    Thanks,
    Derek
    When I can do so, I shall post an image of my cap. It does vary from the norm and its 110% authentic. It is an early ish cap from about 1934/5. The sweat band is also marked " K & Sch 35"
    My life this summer has been extremely hectic and no chance to tend to caprices of consumer electronics or the odd frailties of my goof ball apple computer, either. I have not made an image from my collection in a couple of years, as my Nikon camera crapped out. You, dear d'Alquen are of course welcome to inspect my collection, if you are ever here...

Thanks for posting here. We need you.

Do let me be blunt to a fault as regards other sites. If one registers doubt about a black SS cap because it has something other than a brown, water proof lining, then such a personage has shown to the world that he does not know very much about these caps. We have posted about these things and their characteristics for about five years, with hundreds of postings in exquisite detail of photos and original documents in their number. These posts are on the daggers, the lord of the flies and this website in luxuriant detail. D'Alquen's question about the shape of the gold leaf runics is germane, because this detail is usually screwed up in the fakes. But the long winded doubter on the other site does not have much credibility if the sight of a silken or rayon lining in said black cap causes such a man to lose his bearings.

The Hempe book has a nice passage to the effect that a batch of contract made caps should, in principle, be all identical; in practice, however, they contain many differences which reflect the heterogeneous system that made them and the freedom of interpretation of a "Probe" on the part of the contractor and the contracting-procurement official as concerns the range of the acceptable. I am sure this range of tolerated diversion from a Probe was greater than can be imagined by certain of our readers from the perspective of the year 2009 in which our lives are ever more scientifically managed, routinized, standardized and others rendered as in Chaplin's "Modern Times."

I am very proud of my Hempe book, and do not have time to photograph the germane passages or translate them, for which I apologize.

Happy handicrafts.

This entry from the SS price list is courtesy d'Alquen
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A-SS EM Visor for Review  

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5