MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SS Fez, red

Article about: Hello friends please help, is it real pre 1945 SS Fez? Thx all for every opinions Best Milan

Default Re: SS Fez, red

Just out of curiosity, how large were these warehouses that the SS stored their goods in at Dachau? I have read one book that indicated that upon reaching these stores, initially GI's were forbidden to take any items, upon penalty of court martial, and the American NCO ordered every piece of insignia to be cut in three pieces before being burned in a pile, and there were dozens of people engaged in this activity for quite some time. It was only, as the book indicates, upon higher officers visiting the camp and wanting to bring home some of the items that this practice was stopped. I can't confirm this to be 100 percent valid, but one of the books I've read on the liberation of the camp was quite specific as to this scenario of events.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Fez, red
    P
    Many

Quote by Dimas View Post
    It's allready comented. Strange thing that most of them are pretty cheap, they are being sold for the price for insignia cost
    And to be honest they arent as attractive as an SS Cap, is there any good period photo's of these in use kicking about on the internet?

EDIT: looks like pictures were easier to find than I originally thought, theres some good ones on this page:

http://serbianna.com/blogs/savich/?p=364

Thanks

Danny

Quote by Scott A Hess View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how large were these warehouses that the SS stored their goods in at Dachau? I have read one book that indicated that upon reaching these stores, initially GI's were forbidden to take any items, upon penalty of court martial, and the American NCO ordered every piece of insignia to be cut in three pieces before being burned in a pile, and there were dozens of people engaged in this activity for quite some time. It was only, as the book indicates, upon higher officers visiting the camp and wanting to bring home some of the items that this practice was stopped. I can't confirm this to be 100 percent valid, but one of the books I've read on the liberation of the camp was quite specific as to this scenario of events.
    This is absolutely true. I spent years tracking down US 45th Infantry Division veterans and met the NCO who was in charge of cutting the insignia.

Bob Hritz

?

Guys Bwanekl posted a great photo of a US GI holding a SS Fez from Dachau on one of my post about Dachau awhile back. Gary

Quote by Bob Hritz View Post
    This is absolutely true. I spent years tracking down US 45th Infantry Division veterans and met the NCO who was in charge of cutting the insignia.

Bob Hritz
    Interesting Bob, I remember if I remember correctly the NCO was jewish, and this may have factored into his decision to slash and burn anything associated with the Germans, just curious if you can confirm this, and any other interesting details you may have. I thought the book said me were cutting and burning for several works before they stopped, so if that is true, its an indication of the vast quantities that were there, and what was lost.
    One of my SS dot sets and wool M43's, all unissued were purpoted to have come directly from the stores at Dachau, as evidenced also by there unissued like new condition. Makes sense, but I'm not sure if they stored camo and other garments, ie, smocks, zelts, wrappers there.

You are Welcome Milan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2