Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

SS-FM Patron Pin

Article about: Can someone tell me what would be a reasonable price to ask for this pin? I bought this in Berlin from a street vendor outside the ruins of the Kaiser Wilhelm Gedächtniskirche in 1957. In th

Default Re: SS-FM Patron Pin

Ade: Could you please expand on these most recent photos, especially on the three varients of the FM-Organisation pin shown above, by explaining exactly what they were and the role they had in the SS? Thanks. Dwight

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-FM Patron Pin
    P
    Many

Hi Dwight, the three variants shown on the payment books, in addition to the regular German SS-FM pin, are the foreign issues. See some of my previous text on the Dutch, Flemish and Norge. I have edited the text to the pic in order for clarity.

Basically the foreign SS movements had the same finance problems as the early SS in Germany. They needed funds and this was one way of raising money. On the other hand, the actual contributing members most likely wanted to ingratiate themselves with the new regime. It was a cheap way to show "support".....I suspect some were not "dyed in the wool" Nazis but were simple opportunists. Totalitarian regimes are the same the world over, even today. Of course come the reckoning this meant very little and they stood accused alongside all other branches of the SS. But the Dutch got a bit more than they paid for, if you excuse the pun. The head of the SS in Holland, Feldmeijer, forced them to sign a pleadge of allegiance in 1942. He wanted them to be more than just paying supporters but to become a reserve political force.

As with the German counterpart, there was a minimum contribution. In Norway this was 1 Kroner a month, while in Holland this was 1 Florin a month.

The Dutch appear to have had 850 members in 1942, rising to around 4,000 in early 1944. While in Norway there were 3,422 members on 30th Sept 1944. Sadly I don't have figures for the Flemish.

A Flemish BL one sold here:

The Collector's Guild

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, do you have any idea if the Allies used these patron membership lists to any extent to further their denazification process? With the German's exemplary record keeping, I'm sure there were many nervous members when the day of reckoning arrived as you stated. Fascinating thread by the way!

Jay

Hi Jay, glad you are enjoying the thread.

I am certain a person had (or should have) declared this kind of involvement with the SS when filling out the Fragebogen denazification questionnaire. I suspect most people would have destroyed the payment book.

It is believed that there is no actual centralised list? It is possible each SS district had their own lists? Not in keeping with our image of German efficiency and bureaucratic record keeping I know!

A bit of evidence which points to this can be seen here in a brief extract from a 1937 edition of the "FM-Zeitschrift" magazine . This lists FM-Ehrennadeln pins which had been lost and handed in to the SS. Here they are asking owners of these serial numbered pins to come forwards and contact the Verwaltungsstelle of the SS in München. If a central list was available, why ask for the owners to contact them?

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade, I could expand your explanation of the purpose of the Ehrenadel as for those members who supported the SS in the Kampfzeit. These more ornate pin were created at Himmler's order to honor the earliest FM Members. These were the first 30,000 financial supporters of the SS. The number was later expanded to the first 50,000. The membership records of issue and dues were kept at the local SS-Sturm level. While I have a matched FM membership book and pin shown below, I have only an example of the Ehrenabel. Note the membership number is not the same as the pin number.

Primary documentation is essential to research Dwight. As you secure additional copies of the Org Book, the publisher noted changes in the text in each of the succeeding editions. Both the Bundesarchives and National Archives are replete with excellent documentation also.

Here are several lots of FM-Zeitschrift which sold a few months ago in Germany.

Lot number is first, followed by price in Euros highlighted in bold type:

8794 250 FM-Zeitschrift, Monatsheft der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1934 1. Jahrgang, Folge 8, guter Zustand

8795 440 Konv. 6 FM-Zeitschriften, Monatshefte der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1935 2. Jahrgang, Folge 3, 4, 6, 9, 10 und 11, guter Zustand

8796 700 Konv. 10 FM-Zeitschriften, Monatshefte der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1936 3. Jahrgang, Folge 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 und 12, guter Zustand

8797 700 Konv. 10 FM-Zeitschriften, Monatshefte der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1937 4. Jahrgang, Folge 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 und 12, guter Zustand

8798 900 Konv. 12 FM-Zeitschriften, Monatshefte der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1938 5. Jahrgang, Folge 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 und 12, guter Zustand

8799 520 Konv. 7 FM-Zeitschriften, Monatshefte der Reichsführung SS für fördernde Mitglieder, 1939 6. Jahrgang, Folge 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 und 9, guter Zustand
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin   SS-FM Patron Pin  

Thanks for adding the scan and info on the Ehrenadel

Cheers, Ade.

PEB
    ?

Ade

Thanks for posting the FM Zeitschrift pics! I would love to get my hands on those!

Paul

Going back to the records. This is a subscription card.

As you can see, the member paid 1.5 RM for the FM pin, membership book and FM-Zeitschrift. This is one from April 1934, with the member donating 5 RM per month.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-FM Patron Pin  

Ade: This is very interesting and informative. Please continue. Dwight

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast