MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

SS foreign patches

Article about: Hello, I am new here and just wanted to get some more information regarding a family collection that we recently discovered. I was wondering if someone can help me identify the collection. M

Default SS foreign patches

Hello,
    I am new here and just wanted to get some more information regarding a family collection that we recently discovered. I was wondering if someone can help me identify the collection. My fiances grandfather brought it home in the 40s. Thanks in advance!

SS foreign patchesSS foreign patchesSS foreign patches

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS foreign patches
    P
    Many

?

If you post better close-ups of the SS patches, I think some of the experts on this forum might shed some light on them.

Thank you! I will do that later today since I am currently away from home.

The SS insignia are as follows...

a) Collar patches:
    • Capital letter "H" (seen in the first photo, bottom center) = 25. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS "Hunyadi" (ungarische Nr. 1)
    • Wolfsangel symbol (seen in the first photo, bottom center to the right of the "H" patch) = Freiwilligen-Legion Niederlande / 34. SS-Freiwilligen-Division "Landstorm Nederland"
    • Fasces (seen in the first photo, bottom center to the left of the "SS" patch and in the third photo, middle row, left and center = 29. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (italienische Nr. 1)
    • "SS" runes = Generic Waffen-SS collar patch worn by all units that were not to wear either special or blank collar patches
    • blank (seen in the third photo, middle row) = rank patches as worn by basic-level privates

b) Sleeve shields:
    • Red shield with a black two-headed eagle (seen in the first photograph, bottom, to the right of the Wolfsangel collar patch = Albanians (21st SS Division)
    • Red-and-white checkerboard design (seen in the third photograph, bottom row, far left) = Croatians (13th and 23rd SS Division)
    • Blue-black-and-white shield (seen in the first photograph, center and in the the third photograph, bottom row, second from left) = Estonians (20th SS Division)
    • Red shield with white diagonal line and "LATVIJA" in the upper left corner (seen in the first photograph, left of the center and the third photograph, bottom row, third from left) = Latvians (15th and 19th SS Division)

All sleeve shields are of the standard, German-made type.

c) Cuff title:
    • "Wiking" (seen in the first photograph, center) = 5. SS-Panzer-Division "Wiking"

All other items have no SS connection and are, in fact, not German at all.

(Most, if not all, are U.S. badges and insignia, including two Combat Infantryman Badges, a Sharpshooter Badge, shoulder sleeve insignia for the 41st and 65th Infantry Divisions, branch insignia for infantry and field artillery, some ribbon bars etc. These are outside my area of expertise and should be posted in the appropriate section.)

Thank you for the information! That is very helpful. We are planning on selling some of the items and wondering how much they go for? I don't want to be uniformed before we try to sell it.

I will take close up pictures of the other badges and insignia and post it in the appropriate section. I knew of the CIB and the sharpshooter badge but not the shoulder sleeve. I will try to research more about it. Thanks again!

Quote by joielozano View Post
    Thank you for the information! That is very helpful. We are planning on selling some of the items and wondering how much they go for? I don't want to be uniformed before we try to sell it.

I will take close up pictures of the other badges and insignia and post it in the appropriate section. I knew of the CIB and the sharpshooter badge but not the shoulder sleeve. I will try to research more about it. Thanks again!
    Welcome to the forum. This site is an educational site and not a free appraisal service. In the past we have had people come to the forum , use the knowledge of our membership, contribute nothing to the operation of are forum and our never heard from again. I would suggest you check various dealer sites for value as none of this is extremely rare. Then figure you can get 50-60% of the dealer asking price.
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 08-19-2016 at 12:41 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the tip! I didn't mean to step on your guys toes.

Quote by joielozano View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't mean to step on your guys toes.
    No problem. We just have a long history of:
    What is it?
    What is it worth?
    Good bye and no thanks.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.